AquaClear Noisy or Not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I’m still having trouble deciding. I’m getting mixed reviews. I have a Fluval C4 and it’s tolerable quiet and then loud and then back to quiet and so on. I know AquaClears use the same motor and impeller as the Fluval C-series. So I don’t see how the AquaClears are quieter than the Fluval C-series filters. For anyone who has an AquaClear is it silent right out of the box and years later? Also, how does the sound of it compare to the Marineland Penguin series? Or should I just buy a new motor and impeller for my Fluval C4 and give it one more chance?

I've no experience with the C4 or the Penguins, but I do think Aquaclears are very quiet: I've used them for years and have had almost no complaint about noise. I will say the motor can be a little noisy after maintenance (or when new) until it settles in over a couple of days. Also, the lids can produce an annoying buzz from vibration if they're not seated right. Just play around with it a bit though, and it goes away.

FWIW, I think they're great filters.

I just installed an Aquaclear 70 alongside my Penguin 150. The Penguin is definitely the quieter of the two. No rattling or vibration, just the sound of the impeller makes more noise in Aquaclear, Penguin makes no sound from impellar at all, just a slight hum from the biowheel turning.

My Aquaclear 50 was grinding and terribly noisy when I got it. I was sent new impellers and a new motor which didn't work. Almost a year later and I can't hear it with the TV on but my Topfin filter is dead silent compared to this one.

Back
Top Bottom