Aquaclear or Marineland?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattman0182

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just acquired a 20 gallon tank with one of those simple filters they usually come with. I have an aquaclear filter on my 29g and I love it. It is quiet, but does an excellent job of keeping the water clean. It's rated for 30 gallons. I wanted to get 30 gallon filter for this new tank. Although I am happy with the aquaclear in my 29g, I was wondering how good the marineland filters are.

My LFS has aquaclear, tetra, and marineland filters? Pardon my ignorance, i am just not near as experienced as most on this site. FYI, this new tank will have a baby Albino african clawed frog for a while, and nothing else for some time.

My 29g has just an adult ACF but im soon adding a Bristlenose Pleco. There just isnt much I can keep with the frogs.

My substrate is sand.

Aquaclears are much better than marinelands in my opinion.

I have both and the AQs are better in everyway. Well worth the few extra bucks.

I have read that the marineland bio wheel filters are specialized in bio filtration... I guess it is a pretty advanced system.
The aquaclears are very popular for having so much customization (what media you put in and the flow rate) and being reliable.
Aqueon ones are just.... weird... none of their filter media is anything special... the filter floss has carbon in it, which is sometimes good... the "bio holster" doesn't seem to hold much bb, the "bio falls" (wet/dry) doesn't work well .
Tetra ones are a little more reliable than aqueon ones, but the bio filter media isn't good because usually it is just provided as a thin sponge...

I keep both the Marineland and AquaClear, and I have to say AquaClear is a lot better. AquaClear's filters are customizable so you're able to choose which filter media you want in the tank. It' also very quiet, and you can adjust the flow rate to what you want. Also very easy to clean, and it has two intake tubes so you can take one off if it won't fit in your tank.
The Marineland's okay, but the Bio-Wheel doesn't work unless you have super good flow going through it, otherwise if the water isn't moving fast enough it won't turn. I clean the filters constantly in tank water and the Bio-wheel still doesn't spin. JME with it, I like ACs better.

I disagree with the Biowheel holding more biological filtration.

The Aquaclear potentially has a greater surface area for biomedia imo.
I would argue that 2 sponges + biomax in an aquaclear, is more than a biowheel can ever hold.

I disagree with the Biowheel holding more biological filtration.

The Aquaclear potentially has a greater surface area for biomedia imo.
I would argue that 2 sponges + biomax in an aquaclear, is more than a biowheel can ever hold.

IMO you don't even need the biomax. I have never used in with any of the three AC filters I own. I just double sponge and it works like a dream. I love my AC filters. The biowheel might work, but its a moving part that can fail. If this happens, most of the surface that houses bacteria is now out of water to dry out. It is also one more thing that needs maintained. If you don't keep it clean it will stop turning and you run into the same problem as above.

Nubster said:
IMO you don't even need the biomax. I have never used in with any of the three AC filters I own. I just double sponge and it works like a dream. I love my AC filters. The biowheel might work, but its a moving part that can fail. If this happens, most of the surface that houses bacteria is now out of water to dry out. It is also one more thing that needs maintained. If you don't keep it clean it will stop turning and you run into the same problem as above.

Bio max does hold more bb than plain sponges...

Oh I might add that tons of people have had aquaclears for 5+ years with sand

Nubster said:
Maybe it does...what I am saying is that the sponges hold all you need...unless you are overstocked. Then you might consider the biomax.

Well it also depends on bio load... you may not be overstocked, but you might have fish that are larger or have a larger bio load, so in that case the sponges my not be enough.

Thanks for the advice. Ill go ahead and get an AC for the new tank as well. :)

My current filter has the basic setup. I have one sponge, one carbon, and one bio. I have the adult frog in there but soon to be bristlenose pleco hopefully.

the new smaller tank will have albino frog for now.

So it never hurts to go bigger on the filter? I just don't want to cause too much irritation for the frog.

Back
Top Bottom