Aquarium and TVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMac24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im setting up another tank. The ol MTS has struck. I recently hung an LCD TV up and now have a stand ready for a tank. Does anyone have a feeling about evaporation and the TV above the tank? Is this a smart idea or?

Sounds like a real nice t.v, so better be safe than sorry! I'm not sure if the evaporation would effect the tv, but I would have a hood on your new tank. Hmmmm, and being an aquarium under the t.v, do you think you'd end up negleting the tv to watch your fish? Lol just a thought!

Another thing to think about, if you get ick and have to raise the temp, you will also raise the amount of evaporation too. Just something to think about. But if you have good air movement from heater/air conditioner, you might be ok.

My main concern would be sitting back to watch TV and being distracted by the lights of the aquarium.. .of course you could always turn off the aquarium lights when you watch T.V. My husband wouldn't let me put the Aquarium directly by the TV/entertainment center for this very reason.. he said it would be too distracting visually.

Hmm. A bit of a conundrum. Its really the only spot I can use. I wonder if a hood would stop enough of it. The top of the tank to the TV would be 29 inches. And then the tank is a foot out from the TV.

Wonder if homeowners would cover it. :)

As for the distraction angle. The TV mounted 6 inches from the ceiling. (40 Samsung LCD)

And the room is a Xbox 360/extra TV type room. Im in there a lot while the wife watches the Big TV. But its not the primary TV.

love how you threw in the xbox 360.. our friend got one and we played it... and honestly it seems more like a hassle than anything else. YOu have to buy the hard drive to save games, you have to buy whatever is needed to play the old games... i mean it has a little bit better graphics according to my husband, and the controllers are a bit nicer, but definitely not worth the cash at this point.. we've only had our xbox for a year and i was just thinking about investing in wireless controllers!!! LOL. His does have the wireless controllers and i have to admit that's pretty sweet.

As a gamer, I'd like to add that the hard drive lets you play old games, and it comes with the premium package along with some other bonuses. :p So it's not all bad.

I just try not to hang anything over my tank. .I'd be afraid of cracking the tank if I had a catastrophe with the tV

There is that, too....I cannot imagine how ugly it would be to have a running LCD TV slam into a full aquarium.....lots of water, electricity, and broken glass.

Hrafnkel said:
As a gamer, I'd like to add that the hard drive lets you play old games, and it comes with the premium package along with some other bonuses. :p So it's not all bad.

right but its a complete PITA because you either have to pay a ton for a kit that provides all of that... OR you have to buy it all separate. It really sucks because it should all come standard... I personally have always liked Playstation and will probably be getting a PS 3 for myself one day, but my husband loves his XBOX ... :roll:

When I came into this topic, I though you were going to ask about turning an old TV into an aquarium.... I think you should do that btw, hehe.

Most my students have complained about the 360 and from what I have seen even on my HDTV its not that much better graphics. A bunch of my students say they are waiting for the PS3 and it is supposed to be TRUE HDTV.

I think the use of bluetooth is smart on sony's part, that way the keyboard, controllers, mic, and headsets can all be wireless.

lord...I've been getting this same talk from the gaming forums which I am a member of. lol. The graphics are a good deal better, but not like...$600 better. lol. I'll just stick with my good ol' PC for gaming purposes for a while. Anyway, hanging something like that over an aquarium just screams disaster to me...btw...I can't believe a 40" LCD is only the secondary TV. :( Best TV in my house is my 27" normal TV. lol

What's the differance if you live in an extremely humid location or hang the tv above an aquarium? It would seem that they'd make the TV to with-stand some extra humidity. I'm not 100% positive that I risk it, so only half listen to me.

I honestly don't think the humidity is the problem, i think the expensive TV falling into the aquarium is the problem..

Back
Top Bottom