Aquarium Background Posters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,
I have a question about those background poster type things for an aquarium. I got a piece, but haven't put it in yet! So here goes...my dumb question!

Do you put it on the back of the tank only, or wrap it around the sides also, or is it just personal preference? I think you should tape it to the outside of the tank, right? You wouldn't want to put it in the water (although that's what the lfs said to do!) I would be afraid that the edges could hurt the fish's fins, or they could get stuck between the paper and the tank wall.

you can put it on the sides as well as the back or just the back its all up too you, i have never heard of putting it in the water, i dont see why any one would say too do that, i tape mine too the back.

Um, I don't know what that person was smoking when they told you to put it in the tank...that's just odd. I have mine along the back only...unless you want to have a restricted view of your fish...and it goes on the outside...of course. That would be annoying trying to clean around. If it was in the tank, I mean. Besides, if it was in the tank, how would you tape it on?

Yowzers! That's a really whacky thing for the LFS employee to say!!!!!!! Wierd.

Thanks everyone,
I think I'll just put it on the back of the tank -- taped to the outside, of course! It's a pretty picture of freshwater plants.

The lfs employee wondered if I wanted to use it as a divider, and I said NO, but she still thought it was ok to put in the water. I agree with you, Punkymom, that it would be very hard to clean around! And besides, if you used it as a divider, the water flow would be restricted! It's just a bad idea all around to put it in the water!

I don't use them, personally.

I don't know.. I just never liked the way they looked on a tank :?

I use a plain black background on the back and sides of my black water tank...it darkens the tank and makes it moodier IMO. This pic is of my 30 gal setup, but my new 10 gal is similiar.
( http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=434&password=&sort=7&thecat=500 )

It also gives the fish the illusion of depth, which comforts them.

I use a plain blue background on my Lake Malawi, to make it look like the pictures I had of Lake Malawi. It also wraps around the sides to keep the fish calm.
( http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=2025 )

Having the sides covered serves the additional purpose of keeping "my little helper" at bay :)
( http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=2162 )

Hi William,
I do know what you mean. I debated buying one because I liked looking through the tank too -- it emphasized how nice and clear the water is! But I think my fish would be more comfortable if they thought that they had more "cover" and didn't feel quite so out in the open. My one betta is starting to hang out in between the heater's suction cups! So I thought that they would like the background.

We wet ours down and used a credit card to squeegie the water out, kinda like applying a decal. It does dry out in some spots and separates a little. This may not be the best solution if you have an actual picture, but if you have a solid color it seems to be much brighter with this method rather than just taping it to the back.

I also read that you can apply a thin coat of petroleum jelly to the back and squeegie it on that way. I haven't tried it but from what I understand it doesn't dry out and separate like water.

Speaking of Little Helpers

I'm sure your little helper is a lot of help! One of my little helpers recently tried to be too helpful. He's an inquisitive cat and just loves watching the fish swim by. On this particular occassion he hopped up on top of the tank. I inadvertently left one of the panels up and when he started to pounce on one of the fish (through the glass) he ended up pouncing into the water. Well that was quite a scene. The fish kind of shrugged and the cat got wet, and of course we all know how much they enjoy that! It was terribly amusing. Of course now he is content to simply take up a pose like the cat in your pic. Much safer that way.

Hi everyone
e-cat and punkymom this is the latest thing in the UK, there is a company in the UK that has produced a sticker that you use to put your aquarium background on the inside of you tank. It sounds quite silly but it is really affective, you have to do it before you set up the tank, if the tank is already running you can't do it. have a look on www.backgroundstickers.co.uk what they say is when your background is stuck to the back of your tank you have to look through to pieces of glass and the water to see it. when it is on the inside of the tank you are only looking through on piece of glass and the picture is alot clearer.

just thought i would let you know.

If you can't get any where you are just give me a shout and i will send you some, it is only a packet of stickers they will fit in an envelope.

when it is on the inside of the tank you are only looking through on piece of glass and the picture is alot clearer.

Lol...until it starts getting algae on it, that is. IMO glass is a lot easier to clean.

double sided sticky tape! I also use black or blue on my tanks, I do think it makes the fish happier, and it hides all the equipment.

I just cant see how putting a background on the inside of the tank would be a good idea. I would fear that small fish might find their way back there and become trapped. I would also be concerned that waste could accumulate back there, or at least just pockets of dead water. It just doesn't seem to be a good idea, IMO.

EDIT:

OK, just went to the site, they do answer my concerns, so I guess each of us would have to make up our own mind on this.

corvuscorax, i understand your concerns on this matter, i was the same. But it is like anything that a company brings out, it is not until somebody uses it that you can start getting opinions. your concerns are justified and i was the same until some of my customers used it and i got some reports back. It is the same as most things in this hobby, it does'nt matter what it is backgrounds, filters, heating, lighting etc. etc. not everybody are going to like the same products and i think that will never change.

Back
Top Bottom