aquarium cleaing question! I NEED HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Sorry for sooooooo many questions but I need them. When I have kept my bettas before, I have kept them in a 1 gallon tank. I will do the same for my new one. The question is, how do I clean the 1 gallon tank? I could never get my syphon to start in it. So how do I clean it?!?!? I just scooped water out and put in the new treated water. I know that that was not a good way to do it but I couldn't figure out how! PLEASE HELP!!

You could purchase a Python gravel vac. It attaches to your faucet and sucks the water from your tank. Use a low pressure when refilling though. They are highly recommended on this site and I couldn't imagine doing water changes without them.

A python might be a bit much for 1 gallon.

If I had a 1 gallon, I'd probably just stir the gravel with a kitchen spoon, then pour or scoop out the water I wanted to remove.

Yeah, a python is probably overkill for a 1 gallon. A syphon should work. But probably the best thing would be to get a bigger tank.

get about 4 ft of gravel vac hose (without the wide end...just the hose) and stuff the whole length into the tank, making sure that there is no air in the tube anywhere. Then, take one end and put your thumb over then end, sealing it off while underwater. Pull that end of the tube out of the tank (with your thumb still on the end) and make sure that the end is lower than the tank (set the tank on the edge of a table or something). Put it in an empty bucket or something and remove your thumb. This will create a siphon and you can vacuum the gravel that way.

Back
Top Bottom