Aquarium cloudy, need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfiggy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I was hoping to get some help on the best way to handle a situation that is occurring in my set up. Their are a few possible culprits so hopefully someone can tell me the best course of action. I have a 150 gallon freshwater set up and had a fire eel, an oscar and a severum in the tank. I was given a few extra fish to put in so what was added was a chocolate cichlid, 3 convict cichlids, synodontis catfish and 3 additional oscars. They are all pretty small and I know that I can't keep all the oscars and will most likely be rehoming them shortly but for now I do not think the tank is overstocked considering the size of the fish. Since I added the fish I wanted to give the tank a good cleaning and cleaned out the eheim 2260 canister, I replaced the foam and cleaned out the other media with aquarium water. The canister itself was quite dirty so I hosed it down with tap water.

I also cleaned the interior of the tank and it had been a while since I cleaned the ornaments thoroughly so when I picked them up they were filled with some nasty stuff but they are now clean. I have been doing 50% water changes every other day and use prime when replacing the water. The tests came a little high in nitrites but after the first water change they were back down to zero. I am getting a positive reading for ammonia but I'm not sure if that is from the prime.

The fish seem healthy, they swim to the top for food whoever I come near the tank and show no signs of any stress. The tank looks a little milky though. I guess I just want to know how I should proceed to get everything back to normal as quickly as possible. Thanks in advance!

Since you replaced the sponge media, and cleaned all the surfaces inside the tank you are possibility experiencing a mini cycle. You are doing the right thing with the water changes. It should resolve itself soon. Keep up on the changes and testing. Your a good responsible owner.

Back
Top Bottom