Aquarium Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canes53

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a question about my nitrogen cycle... I have a 20 gallon tank that's been cycling for two weeks. Yesterday, I had zero ammonia and nitrite readings, using then API master test kit. My Nitrates were 20 ppm. Today, however, my ammonia has jumped back up to .25 or .35 ppm and my nitrates are holding steady at 20 ppm. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Is it possible to have ammonia and nitrates? I'm new to the hobby and any hep would be greatly appreciated!!!

What have you done with it? Like, put in fish, possibly added in a bit too much of the Ammonia source...?

Cycling is done in a few different ways, could you elaborate how youre doing it?

Fish or fish-less? What is your Ammonia source? Etc...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Just keep doing what youre doing. You should be in the home stretch of cycling if those are your readings. That is, assuming you are doing a fish in cycle.

Sorry for the lack of info.. I'm doing a fish in cycle. I have used Tetra Safe Start as well as substrate from a cycled aquarium. The substrate seemed to help, but then my ammonia readings came back up to .25 from zero. Is this normal? I have four glo tetras, a rainbow shark, 2 zebra danios, 2 blue Rams and two Bolivian Rams. I also have four neon tetras.

If you added them in all at once, at around the time your ammonia spiked, then yes. Your bacteria wouldn't be able to cope with all the new additions. It will in time.

If you've added the fish gradually ever since the beginning, then I'm not sure.

Thanks for the guidance guys.. I did add several fish right before the ammonia spike. I just tested my water and the ammonia is still at .25 ppm, but the nitrates are up around 50 ppm. Hopefully that's a good sign. I'm about to do a partial water change to bring them down

Yep adding new fish means that the ammonia will jump for a bit. It simply doesn't have enough beneficial bacteria to convert the ammonia. The bacteria multiply quickly. Just do water changes and don't overfeed at this stage.

Also, only 1 pair of rams can be in that tank. The rainbow shark will get too big. It can be 7 inches long, which is a bit too much.

Thanks for the info there. These are all thing the Pet store didn't tell me! Now I'm having to learn after the fact.

Hey its ok, i was lucky to stumble across a website that mentioned cycling while doing the research for the first tank that wasn't taken care of by my parents. I managed to learn a lot and was pretty well educated on it when i started out.

So its all good, its not your fault really. Its hard to know what to research.

Btw, don't ever rely on pet-stores for anything. Especially the major chains like Petco.

The gravel from a cycled tank wouldn't hurt. If there's a way for you to get a piece of filter media from a cycled tank and put it in your filter, even better!
But sounds like you're on the right path, keep at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's very sound advice, based on what I've experienced! My ammonia is holding right now at .25. I'm keeping up with 20% water changes?? The water is crystal clear, and all the fish are vibrant and in good condition, knock on wood. Is there anything else I should be doing differently, besides being more patient?

I got some gravel from a well kept cycled tank. Hopefully, it'll put me over the top

Back
Top Bottom