Aquarium heater (possibly broken?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigerbarb12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have never run into this problem, because every heater ive bought over the years has never given me trouble, until i go out and buy a $50 heater for the largest tank ive ever operated.... i have a 300w heater, not sure the brand anymore so ill post a pic, in my 75g... it has a thermometer toward the top of the "glass cylinder". I came home from work today and noticed that the temp on this said 65, so i rushed to get an old heater that i used to use on a 45g and popped it in. I have them both set at 78 F. The main heater still kicks on, but after testing, it seems to be off when compared to the other heater.

Test: set main in question to 79, still off. Set the rescue heater to 77 and it kicks right on. After several minutes, the main kicks on. Set them both to 78 and the main wants to kick off while the smaller rescue, 150w, stays on.

They are within 3 inches of each other. The main heater is stuck at 65 on the thermometer... is the thermometer in this heater tied to the thermostat? I doubt it could be seeing as how the temp is stuck at 65, and the heater is still willing to kick on with the smaller one, which kicks on at about 76 or so...

Am i panicking over nothing? Is the thermometer just a broken piece of crap? Is my heater ok?

You should have a dependable thermometer in your tank , so you don't need to depend on the heater for that ? I really like the cheapo glass floating ones. I have like 30! One in every tank heated or not...
If it heats the tanks it is working for its real purpose ?
I favor Aqueon Pros ,but everyone has their favorite.

It still seems to work, almost too well haha, dealin with bits of java moss i bought floating all over haha

Back
Top Bottom