Aquarium heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking at getting a new heater. The one I currently have is an EHEIM Jager, but the blue dial is extremely hard for me to turn, even if I use my teeth. So I'm looking at buying a new one that will be easier to turn and is just as good. The ones I'm looking at are the Aqueon 100 watt, the Aqueon Pro 100 watt, the Fluval E series, and the Fluval M series. Which one is better and which do you recommend?

I don't know about the other models, but I have the Fluval E and am very happy with it. The temperature is easy to read, the multicolored LCD makes it very easy to see the status of your tank/the heater, and I haven't had any trouble with it thus far (it's been in my tank for about a month).

The one thing to note is that the temperature displayed on the screen is only displayed in 0.5 degree increments. Not a huge deal but something to keep in mind if that's something you would care about. I have a second LCD thermometer on the other side of the tank and the two are usually in agreement to within 1 degree.

Overall, the Fluval E is a solid recommendation based on my experience with it thus far.

I have two Aqueons, and I'm not 1,000% thrilled with either.

One of them has notches so you can tell each degree you turn the dial, but it's miserably calibrated. The other has a smoothly turning dial that I never really look at. I adjust the temperature against a little floating thermometer.

I can't remember which lines they are. They work fine as long as you use a separate thermometer.

I should add that in terms of performance, the Fluval E was able to keep my tank at 86 +/- 0.5 degrees throughout my cycle. This was despite an ambient air temperature of 76-78.

I want to buy the Fluval E, but I don't think my mom will let me spend $50 on an aquarium heater

Yeah, my heater has a layer of condensation and my dad doesn't understand the $50 it's worth is well worth it...

I don't know about the other models, but I have the Fluval E and am very happy with it.

Seconded. I have a 50W E-series on a 10g, and the temp has been steady as can be. The only thing I don't like is the bulk: it has a nice protective plastic cage around the actual heater, but that makes it take up even more space. A minor complaint, but I thought I should mention it. Overall, this has been a great heater.

I researched the Cobalt Neo-Therm and decided to buy that one

My aqueon died after 1.5years. I'm not very thrilled..

Did you submerge the eheim? It should be easier to turn when submerged.

Yes, I did, but I have a physical disability so that's also a factor.

Yes, I did, but I have a physical disability so that's also a factor.
Maybe then. I just turned mine, and it does take some force to turn past one click. It is not light like the thermostat of a home for instance.

Back
Top Bottom