Aquarium help? --- goldfish, small tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kfish3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I just got a new tank that is an aqua culture home aquarium starter kit 5. Does that mean 5 gallons or what? Well it looks big so thats just a little question. I have had limited space and money, (my bearded dragon taking up alot of space with a 55 gallon) so please dont go on and on about how its a tiny tank, i know. I previously had a little 1 inch common goldfish that hasnt grown at all. I also got a ryukin and are keeping them in there. So far they have been doing fine, but what do i do when they get bigger? I cant upgrade the tank size? Any tips? I dont wanna just drop them off at some awful pet place to be put in a 5 gallon with a million other fish. I now know that i should have stuck to small fish like guppies, tetras, and maybe a betta. So what can i do? P.S. I got tired of people on yahoo answers going on about how these two goldfish shouldnt be together, 5 gallons is a torture room, etc.
Thanks!

There is nothing wrong with keeping a small tank, I have quite a few and love them, but it is cruel to keep goldfish in them.

Is this why the one inch goldfish never grew?

Be kind, rehome them, and stick to a betta for a five gallon tank.

I know you said you couldn't stand the idea of them being resold to go into a five gallon with too many fish, but that is what you are doing right now, just on a smaller scale.

I hope I said this nicely.

And welcome to AA!

For the tank size, measure the dimensions. Gallons = length x width x depth (in inches) / 231. They can name it a 5 or whatever, but the actual size might be different.

A 5 gal will be really cramped for goldfish. You can keep them for a while when they are babies, but you will have to look for a bigger setup when they grow. Meanwhile, maintaining pristine water conditions is key. In a small setup with goldfish, water changes daily (or even twice a day) is needed.

Eventually, even with frequent pwc's, the carrying capacity of the tank will be exceeded & start to accumulate nitrates or ammonia. The fish usually meet an untimely death. <Goldfish should live for years, 7-10 for fancies ... up to 30+ for commons, but you rarely see even 6 or 7 months in small setups.>

Back
Top Bottom