Aquarium logs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattAquaBio

Aquarium Advice Freak
How many of you actually keep aquarium logs?
I keep mine in a spiral college ruled notebook. I use it to keep track of water changes, maintenance, filter maintenance, temp fluctuations. All the water parameters, weird fish behavior. New additions, etc.
Sometimes it helps track a problem back to its source. Anyway, i was just wondering b/c today a friend of mine who also has an aquarium came over and saw mine and siad he'd never even heard of keeping an aquarium log and thought it was "obsessive".
Sigh, some people.

I have a separate log for each of my three tanks. I log all maintenance (routines and otherwise), equipment changes, water tests, fauna/flora changes, breeding events, interesting behaviors, problems, and basically anything of note. I typically make 5-10 entries a week, depending on what is going on.

I also make logs like this for both my Windows PC and my several Macintoshes, noting software installations, OS updates, problems (and solutions), etc..

On many occasions, I've found these logs to be extremely helpful (especially in tracking down an otherwise elusive problem). And with just a little dedication, they are very quick and easy to maintain.

I use the Mac OS X program "StickyBrain" for all of my logs, note taking, and general organization.

I am a compulsively organized person, though.

lol. The only thing i do on my computer is write with Word, research for school, and this forum, i'm obviously not a computer person lol. I keep a seperate log for each of my big tanks and have one log for my other two 10 gallon tanks. I'm the same way about my tanks though. I enjoy this and unlike some casual aquarists i pay more attention to mine than the occasional glance on the way to the kitchen (my friend and stepmom are like that). So why not take good care of it? besides, its interesting lol.

I started to but stopped after a few entries. We have not had tank problems in a long time so there really isn't much to report. And we don't even test the water anymore since we're on a schedule.

Back
Top Bottom