Aquarium power outage question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis32

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't have a problem, but was just wondering from people who have had this issue before. If you were to lose power, how long do you think you can get away with no power to your power filters and heater before it starts affecting your fish?

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I lost power for 6 hours max this past winter. Larger tanks didn't have a problem..

I wrapped towels and blankets around all the tanks and that held the heat in pretty well.

Battery powered air pumps work well too for supplying oxygenation.

Caleb

Fish can cope quite well with a gradual loss of heat due to a power cut. Obviously due to there being no filtration the ammonia levels could rise but in the past I have done a partial water change after 2-3 hours. Dosing with Prime would also help in the short term.
My main concern is all the rubbish spewing out of the canister filters when the power comes on. I turn the filters off during a power out and collect and dispose of the first gallon after switching them on. It amazing what is dislodged by the power being off.
I've never lost a fish due to a power cut.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The one and only time ive lost power since i got fish was in the winter for 24 hours.

The water got fairly cold but nothing really seemed to care about the loss of power including my reef tank.

If your power does happen to cut off, just be sure to remove any glass or plastic lids to improve oxygenation. If its going to be long term then wrapping with blankets will help.

I have a generator now,
but before I have power outages without problem.
Anyone remember the brown out on the East coast?
I would expect temp to be main factor and if season or conditions were right I would not worry about any of my tanks till day 3 at least.

Ok. Thanks for input. We have never really had any long term power outages I am just very curious as to what you guys did or didn't do!

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Petsmart carries battery-powered air pumps. I'd use one of those and a blanket- or towel-wrap.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom