Aquarium room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brimac41

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in the process of turning my basement into an aquarium room and "man cave" . I can now set up my extra 20 and 30 Gal. along with a 10 gal. hospital tank . Also my friend has given me his 60 gal . along with stand and all the rest of the equipment that comes with it . And now I am making my wish lists of what I will stock them with , after they are properly cycled of course . With the 60 I will now be able to get an Oscar . I have always wanted one but never had an aquarium large enough for one , though I would really like a bigger tank for one . But I may set it up as another African cichlid tank , or a heavily planted community tank . Wow , I am as giddy as a school girl . My wife thanks I am silly for getting so excited over a bunch of fish , but then again , she makes fun of me for fussing over the fish I have and my dogs . Like I told her , there are worse things I could be into .

I think a 60g would be the bare minimum for an oscar. Filter it well and you'll probably be ok.

Enjoy your space. I have a feeling I'll be doing the same kind of thing when I finally get a basement. I actually have my wife's blessing and encouragement to set up more tanks. She wants more tanks so she can pick out more bettas and different colored guppies.

I don't think I've run across you so welcome!! That's pretty sweet you get the basement all to yourself (and fish) if your gonna do a room like that id look into getting a centerpiece tank like 100 gal + it would look pretty sweet with a few tanks around it too. Anyways keep us updated and if you can post lots of pictures.

P.s. I would try to get a 75 gal for the oscar just cuz they get huge!! You could use the 60 as an african tank. :)

Hah, we are buying a house but I am not finding a fish room of the right size for my needs, the wife is giving me a room, I can live with that, rather have the entire basement floor to work with but compromise is key.

I am partial to SA cichlids and their tetra friends, a 60 gallon makes a nice amazon tank.

BigJim, PM me when you need gups, you bring a bucket or I can bag your pick and you handpick, between you and me, I got some nice purple/magenta male gups, long dorsals w/ a few distinct black spots on them, pattern matches both sides. I got hundreds of fry and juves right now.

I told my wife I claim the garage and the basement. I reserve veto power on any decorating ideas I can't live with and a spot for a potential display tank, but that's it. I have a huge tank in storage that I keep in mind when we look at houses.

Thanks WhiteDevil. We've got a tank full of blue metallics right now, but I'll keep that in mind for later.

Im up for trades as well, OP is on my way to my land in winamac,in and shelbyville. Let me know. here is just a very minor few pics I have on an album online, rest are on memory card, I did pick up 6 metalhead males today that have no blue to them whatso ever, mainly reds and yellows.
40g Tall - Album - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

The garage is a given, that comes in the small print of the marriage liscense.

she said we could do a display tank, it would have to be atleast 125g and all reef. Im like, sure hun I can live with that no problem.

I have been going through it and getting rid of 15 years of garbage and junk that has accumulated , I still have to reserve part of it for decorations and what not and painting . One corner will be for my small work bench for putting my models together (mostly ships) and all my Matchbox car collection I have had since I was a kid in the early 70's . I am going to set up a TV with my Xbox 360 and DVD player and my horror movie collection . Along with all my horror movie posters that the wife will not let me put up in the house . And the rest of it will be for my aquariums . Once I start setting up my tanks I'll give details as I go .

that matchbox collection should be under laser beam guard, WOW, I used to collect gi joes and hot wheels, regret getting rid of them now when I went into the service 11 years ago.

it sounds like you need the WHOLE house for that plan, I like it lol

that matchbox collection should be under laser beam guard, WOW, I used to collect gi joes and hot wheels, regret getting rid of them now when I went into the service 11 years ago.

it sounds like you need the WHOLE house for that plan, I like it lol

LOL , most of the cars are still in mint condition and back when they where still made in England . I still have some of my old 12" GI Joes also and the foot locker with uniforms and weapons along with my Six Million Dollar Man and his rocket/lab and Stretch Armstrong (still in the box) . Sadly I tried to shave the beard off one of my GI Joes with Dad's razor , he was not a happy camper !

Hah, yeah mine wasnt happy with alot of my lamebrain ideas as a youngster.

I used to collect the annual additions and some classic hotwheels, the treasurehunts for sure, had 10 years consecutive 100% complete lines of those, then the ones that were backwards or upside down, ones that had blemishes ect,

Female intrudes on the Man Cave thread!

I'm not even a d00d and I want a man cave! My man cave would have my aquariums, except for the display tank that would stay in the living room. The basement isn't an option because our house is 120 years old and the basement has dirt floors and very low ceilings with all the piping and plumbing running through it. My husband has a man cave - it's full of computers and World of Warcraft paraphernalia. I'd have all kinds of non-man stuff in my cave, like all my sewing stuff, my photography stuff, aromatherapy, and my poodle. Well, I guess photography is gender neutral.

I'm jealous of the Stretch Armstrong that's new in the box. I had a Stretch back in the day, and some friends and I pulled him across our family room until his arms snapped off. Poor Stretch!

At least I don't collect Barbies.

Although I do have a collection of '70s/early 80s Polly Pockets, LOL!

When my kids move out, then I'll have my own room for all my stuff.

Man Cave.......hmmmm. wife said **** no.

guess I am just gonna have to go back to the 1800's, gonna stick a stick in the flloor with me name on it.

DK, I used to have tons of axes aka guitars till I met my wife and had kids. I sold them before their little hands could hurt em, had a 57 les paul that omg I want to shoot myself for selling now.

I guess i got lucky, i didnt have much of anything before i met my wife. Guess that's less stuff to get rid of that way :) At least she lets me keep my guns, even lets me still buy some.

I cant wait to see some pictures of this fishroom, especially once you get some major huge tanks in there.

I'm still painting , I think it's going to work out to where I can get my extra 30 gal. back up here , my wife loves spotted puffers so I may set one up in my den (two man caves , yeah me !!! but my den is full of books ).

Some the above posts had me busting up !

Whitedevil's "Man Cave.......hmmmm. wife said **** no." I had tears in my eyes from laughing !

Twoapennything , I also had the Stretch Monster and he went way of your Stretch Armstrong , but in a much more devastating way . We tied him up between two of our go-carts and took off . Very sad day for Stretch Monster and Mom said she was not going to buy me any more toys .

How about a nice reef tank?? The possibilities with a whole room would be endless, and I have always dreamt about having a nice large reef tank as the first thing I saw in my fish room!

Back
Top Bottom