Aquarium safe rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommachef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't find it on here so I'm just going to start a new thread so I can find it and ask questions if I need to.

I'm looking at rocks for my 55gal that is cycling, and as much as I love the rocks I have in my 110, I want something different for the new tank. I'm not really leaning towards anything in particular right now, just browsing, but have thought about agate and slag glass/obsidian shelving and caves (sharp edges filed, of course) because I have access to that from my non aquarium collection (I have a rock collecting habit as well...). I also am aware of the vinegar test, which I do on everything before It goes in the water for peace of mind. :)
I've found several online sources that give pretty good lists, but was wondering if anyone else had lists that I'm not finding, or any that you have found that doesn't work through experience. I'm basically just cross checking my references now. Haha
Links to the good info that I have found-
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?163903-Aquarium-safe-rock
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85619
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/55806-rocks-for-use-in-the-aquarium/
There are others I had read too, just not posting the links.

You're off to a good start with your research, and the vinegar test. Make sure that you clean/scrub them thoroughly. Don't boil them, though, as water can leach into rocks, and if you boil the rock, there is a chance it could explode.

You're off to a good start with your research, and the vinegar test. Make sure that you clean/scrub them thoroughly. Don't boil them, though, as water can leach into rocks, and if you boil the rock, there is a chance it could explode.

That's a good point. I never thought about them exploding, especially if I use glass rock or obsidian I can see that being a HUGE possibility now that you bring it up.

I boiled well over 100 rocks. I have since stopped boiling just because I thought it was just overkill. Never had a explosion.

I boiled well over 100 rocks. I have since stopped boiling just because I thought it was just overkill. Never had a explosion.

Heh.. I had a friend that used the say the same thing about smoking while pumping gas.

Exploding rocks might be rare, but its going to be super unpleasant if it does happen. Not worth the risk.

It's very dependent on the porosity of the rock, obviously. It only takes one to pop off, after all. It might never happen, or it could be the next one you drop in the pot...

It's very dependent on the porosity of the rock, obviously. It only takes one to pop off, after all. It might never happen, or it could be the next one you drop in the pot...

I personally boil all my rocks, but I Agree .... I don't even bother with porous (vesicular)or large fractured rocks. If water can get into those crevices, it can expand out into steam under the right conditions and there goes the boom.

I follow a few simple precautions. I only use Granites, Gneisses, Slates and or Quartz river stones (naturally non porous) that I check for fractures. Then I use a dedicated pot with a lid and bring the rocks up to a boil .. I never drop them into a boiling pot. I then let them cool back down to room temp before I pour out the water.

Lol. Got that one off prematurely!

One of the links the OP provided mentioned a case of someone ending up in hospital with burns and broken bones after boiling a rock. It's not worth the risk IMO- the risk may be small but the consequences could be very grim.

Back
Top Bottom