Aquarium safe silicone..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabrinarichard

Aquarium Advice Freak
So following instructions that I found on here I thought this would be fine:ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394497166.354184.jpg
But I read before doing it on the back it's written: not for aquariums... Do I really need to spend 25$ on aquarium made silicone, or is it worth it to save my fish ? It's for my fry tank! Thanks!!

So following instructions that I found on here I thought this would be fine:View attachment 227114
But I read before doing it on the back it's written: not for aquariums... Do I really need to spend 25$ on aquarium made silicone, or is it worth it to save my fish ? It's for my fry tank! Thanks!!
It is worth the money because it could kill everything you ever put in the tank, which make the tank pointless...lol. There is non aquarium brand silicones available, the names I don't know but I have seen many posts about it here. I 'think' it maybe 100% silicone(without mould resistance added). If you search the forum, enter "Fish Safe Silicone in the search tab(above) and you should get your answer. It's the same price as regular silicone and cheaper than LFS bought silicone.....
I'm sure someone will chip in this thread and give you names and where to get it.....

Well, that's exactly what I did, on the forum everyone said GE1, 100% silicone, and NO mould resistance,,, ie: windows, doors etc.
So I got that exact brand and everything.. It's still written not for aquariums in the back, my boyfriend thinks it's a scam because it was 4,99 and the aquarium one is 25,99 and it's a subcontractor of the GE company..
Anyone who used the GE1, 100% silicone with no mould resistance ? Thanks!!!

They have to add not for aquariums because they can be sued if someone builds a tank that's 102984849303727g and it falls apart

Ooohh! Makes a whole lot of sense :) thank you all very much!! I'm reassured!

GE's Silicone I CAN be used in aquariums as a sealant or adhesive, it will not harm your fishies.

Do NOT build an aquarium with GE Silicone I, it is not designed for tensile applications. Aquarium builders use silicone with a specified ultimate tensile strength so they know what they're building will not heave.

Yea, I've had no problems either, I used it inside and out of my canister filter so my fishies would be dead by now, but they're still strong and healthy :)

Back
Top Bottom