Aquarium Safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbimflyer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just had a question regarding safety, I use some extension cords with my hookup of my aquarium equipment as alot of people do I'm sure because it's so many different things we have to use, but my question is does anyone feel that the heater should be plugged directly into the outlet or are there others that also have their tank heater plugged into a power strip. Please advise, thanks

I have a RCD safety cutoff switch on the wall power point. By law we have to have ones at the fuse box but I have one at the fish tank just in case / faster cutoff time.

I'd plug the heater into a surge protector. Some power strips are also surge protectors. I learned the hard way after parboiling a tank of cichlids.

Mine is on a power strip with built in surge protector and never had any issues. Just don't forget to put drip loops on all cords so any water doesn't hit the plugs

My equipment is also on a power strip with surge protector. I learned the hard way to have my power strip on the wall behind the tank where it’s less likely to get wet. I fried a power strip a few years ago when my cat fell into the tank and got it wet. That was an interesting few minutes.[emoji846]

Just had a question regarding safety, I use some extension cords with my hookup of my aquarium equipment as alot of people do I'm sure because it's so many different things we have to use, but my question is does anyone feel that the heater should be plugged directly into the outlet or are there others that also have their tank heater plugged into a power strip. Please advise, thanks

Mine are plugged into a power strip.

Which reminds me, I need to rearrange those cords so there are drip loops.

My equipment is also on a power strip with surge protector. I learned the hard way to have my power strip on the wall behind the tank where it’s less likely to get wet. I fried a power strip a few years ago when my cat fell into the tank and got it wet. That was an interesting few minutes.[emoji846]

I’ve heard of lights dropping in and staying on / live. Bet that was a lesson for your cat! :)

More so for me. I have led lights, they dropped into to aquarium with the cat, as he extricated himself I reached in and fished them out, not even thinking of electrocution. Luckily they were fine. When I was cleaning up the whole mess I noticed the smoking power strip. The fish were surprised but fine. I made power strip changes after that!

Back
Top Bottom