Aquarium salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff likes fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is a small amount of aquarium salt dangerous for any fish? I have a 20 gallon tank and was wondering if it is necessary to add salt

You don't add salt unless you are treating for illness. It can be fatal to cories, and I've lost guppies to it as well... I'd advise against it. :)

I've used salt also to help with some ripped up cichlids, in order to stimulate slime coat. Just like treating with ich, it's only a temporary treatment and is eventually removed within a week or two by water changes.

The belief that certain freshwater fish like mollies and guppies need salt, or do a little better with salt, is because they are commonly found in estuaries and sometimes even full marine areas. The only thing they neglect to note also is that they are also found in full freshwater areas as well, in creeks and rivers.

The other issue with that idea is that aquarium salt is not the same as marine salt, so if attempting to recreate a brackish setup for certain species, it's best left to the right kind of salt.

As far as using salt as a preventative, it's unnecessary, just get good quality stock and use proper quarantine procedures, parasites etc(namely the kind that salt actually has some effect on) will be few and far between.

Back
Top Bottom