Aquarium salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, so i was walking by the fish area at walmart and i saw aquarium salt soo i decided to buy it because it said freshwater fish and for stressed fish something around there... I have 3 fiddler crabs in my tank as well with other fish would it help my crabs live longer?? And as well something i should throw in for infoo i havent been able to bring ammonia lvls down and it has given me a huge headache.. Ive done water changes, ammolock, the tablets and still havent brought it down for wks any suggestions, thanx in advance

you should not use things to lower ammonia. Do you know what cycling is? if you dont it is a process where you produce beneficial bacteria(BB). the bacteria break down ammonia to nitrites(still harmful to fish) and then they break nitrites to nitrates(only harmful if in high concentrations and varies from fish to fish)

fiddler crabs need access to land or else they slowly drown over time. They also need brackish water which where saltwater and freshwater meet. aquarium salt is usually only recommended for fish when they are sick and some fish can not handle salt because it burns there skin.

First, what size tank do you have, are you planted at all and how much, and what is your stock list other than the crabs? That will give us some idea of how to help with the ammonia levels. Stop using the ammo-lock--that stalls out a cycle. You are probably overstocked at first guess, but the info on tank size and stocking levels will determine that.

Second, Brack's right. Get the crabs out of there and into a proper environment or they will die. They absolutely need the access to land, and they need brackish water--that's with marine salt added, not aquarium salt.

Third, again, Brack's right. Aquarium salt is only really recomended for when fish are actually sick because its use is to stress the fish enough to cause extra production of slime coat and kill parasites in the water. No parasites, no need for salt. Extra stress means extra susceptible to getting sick, so you're causing what you're trying to prevent.

Hey thanx so much for the salt advice... How would i know if they have parasites?? So i have a 29 gallon 3 danios 3 guppies 4 mollies...and the 3 crabs

Can you answer brads question so we know where you're at and further help you with the ammonia problem; Do you know what cycling is?
If you don't address this, you will start/continue to have increasing problems with your fishes health.

You assume there are no parasites unless you start seeing signs that they're ill.

Do you have an aquarium test kit? If not, API is highly recommended. If you have the strips, get an API kit--strips lie more than they tell the truth.

Since you've been using ammo-lock, you'll have to start over with the cycle. It will have stalled you out completely, so you'll have little to no nitrifying bacteria in your filter. Get the test kit, read up on the Nitrogen Cycle, and be prepared to do a lot of water changes--probably daily for a while. You have to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels below toxic levels.

Koikid88: I didnt know what the cycling was intil a actually researched it AFTER i have started the aquarium but it was already to late i had my fish already....

Kaylneko: i have the api master kit and as u mentioned, now
ammonia is 0ppm,
nitrite: 5.0ppm,
nitrate: 80ppm
Way high, how can i bring them down wat do i do

One of mu guppies is on the gravel just laying there ( probably in trouble ) i had a blue one and it was the same until it disappeared... Any recommendations for now, urgent!!!

Thanx in advance

irb said:
Koikid88: I didnt know what the cycling was intil a actually researched it AFTER i have started the aquarium but it was already to late i had my fish already....

Kaylneko: i have the api master kit and as u mentioned, now
ammonia is 0ppm,
nitrite: 5.0ppm,
nitrate: 80ppm
Way high, how can i bring them down wat do i do

One of mu guppies is on the gravel just laying there ( probably in trouble ) i had a blue one and it was the same until it disappeared... Any recommendations for now, urgent!!!

Thanx in advance

Do a 50-75% PWC and see how the fish behave... You may need to do several back to back PWC to get the nitrites down..

I didn't read this thread. I answered in the other. Please don't have multiple threads on the same thing.
Brackish water is made by mixing marine salt. Freshwater treatment salt is different so using that will not create brackish conditions. I suggest you do A LOT of research into the requirements of your crabs.
You will need lots if back to back water changes to get the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate down in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom