Aquarium Salt??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have used salt in every freshwater tank I have owned. I was once told that it is good for gill health and for keeping water borne parasites at bay. Don't know if it does any of that, but an ounce of prevention.......

edu...

If you have a planted tank, you want to keep the salt to a minimum. Just for routine use, I'd recommend no more than a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of your water change water.

Treating parasites like "Ich", then you need to double the amount to two teaspoons per 5 gallons and do a good job of vacuuming the substrate. Avoid vacuuming the areas around your plants. You don't want to damage the roots.

There are other considerations when dealing with parasites in the tank. But if you're just using the salt to benefit your fish and not treating parasites, then that's a topic for another time.

B
So about 1 teaspoon per gallon works?

Salt in Freshwater Tanks

Hello again edu...

Aquarium plants are sensitive to high doses of aquarium salt. You don't have to use more than one teaspoon for every 5 gallons of your water change water.

B

Hello again edu...

Aquarium plants are sensitive to high doses of aquarium salt. You don't have to use more than one teaspoon for every 5 gallons of your water change water.

B

When your fish is sick 1 teaspoon for each gallon right?

Salt in Freshwater Tanks

When your fish is sick 1 teaspoon for each gallon right?

Hello edu...

Unless you have a degree in fish biology, it's difficult to say what, if anything is wrong with your fish. I'd keep the salt dose to 1 teaspoon for 5 gallons of new water and start an aggressive water change routine. Change half the water every three to four days and do a good job of vacuuming the gravel. Stay away from the area around the plants if you have them. Make your new water slightly warmer than what's in the tank. A combination of a little salt and lots of pure, treated water and a little warmth will many times help the fish.

B

Hello edu...

Unless you have a degree in fish biology, it's difficult to say what, if anything is wrong with your fish.

Hi B. I don't think that's quite accurate. I do agree that it can be hard to diagnose some illnesses in fish but it's easy enough nowadays to research and treat different common ailments without any formal training.

I'm on the other side of the fence on this subject and only use salt to treat fish that have an issue, since they don't live in salted water in nature. I don't regularly dose any other chemical as a preventative measure on fish either.

The one's that do come from an area with a level of salt (i.e. estuarine) get brackish water if needed.

Salt in Freshwater Tanks

Hi B. I don't think that's quite accurate. I do agree that it can be hard to diagnose some illnesses in fish but it's easy enough nowadays to research and treat different common ailments without any formal training.

I'm on the other side of the fence on this subject and only use salt to treat fish that have an issue, since they don't live in salted water in nature. I don't regularly dose any other chemical as a preventative measure on fish either.

The one's that do come from an area with a level of salt (i.e. estuarine) get brackish water if needed.

Hello jeta...

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion and I'm by no means an authority on fish illnesses. It's been my experience that a little standard aquarium salt will benefit aquarium fish, but I've kept "Livebearers", Tetras and Corydoras. I do encourage low doses, to be safe and have used it routinely in my weekly water changes for several years, with what I would call "favorable" results.

I guess my take on the salt issue is "If we use it in high doses to treat our fish when they become infected with a parasite, it makes sense for me to use a little routinely, so I may avoid high doses later.

Good post. Thanks for your insight.

B

I agree totally. Many tropical fish have become highly adaptable to the environments we put them in, so it stands to reason that they can tolerate salt. However, I see no evidence that it benefits any species whose native habitat contains no salt.

Laser said:
I agree totally. Many tropical fish have become highly adaptable to the environments we put them in, so it stands to reason that they can tolerate salt. However, I see no evidence that it benefits any species whose native habitat contains no salt.

I agree. I think its unnecessary for a healthy tank. Water changes and good filtration are a lot more important.

I use a little salt unmeasured in my 125 gallon mainly to replace the salt the fish lose. Kind of like a salt lick. It's also kind of a prevention thing too. I doubt the the amount used would show up on a hydrometer.

Anyway, as for dissolving it or just sprinkling in, I read somewhere that for bloat and some internal parasites, the fish will have to ingest a little salt. So when I sprinkle of course the fish think I'm feeding and they might take a quick bite and spit it out. I haven't had a fish illness in almost nine months.

I would never have it at .4 or 4, or whatever the fish store guy keeps his at, just feels uncomfortable for me. I was told he keeps it that high to prevent. I'm not saying none of the pet store's fish die, but I rarely see the fish with ich, bloat or tumors.

There are people here who actually managed their tanks for 20 months when I didn't. They're advice is golden.

Back
Top Bottom