aquarium salt for FW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trent

Aquarium Advice Activist
do you just buy some FW aquarium salt and follow the directions for the tonic and general use? i was told that cichlids need salt. how do i dissolve the salt rocks, and mix with aquarium water? it says to use 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon. it seems like a lot of salt for FW fish? could someone help me out with this, thanks.

it seems like a lot of salt for FW fish?
It's not :wink:

This idea of adding salt to a FW aquarium is up in the air. I say follow the instructions and add the small amount of salt since no FW body of water is completely free of salt. Others say the tap water has salt, don't add more :?

If you have already bought it, go ahead and use it.

Marine or sea salt is best, but you can use the FW salt as a general tonic th most fish (some, like corydoras cats, do not tolerate it well). Just remember that when water evaporates from the tank, the salt does not go with it, so be careful not to add more if topping-off the tank.

deeni0z said:
When you do PWC, how much salt do you add? Should you use the bucket method of only adding salt to the bucket you have the water you're going to put into the tank in?

Sorry about the run-on. :oops:

Dissolve first, and only as much salt as was in the volume of water you took out of the tank (i.e. 1 tablespoon for each 10 gallons removed)

trent said:
wont the fish try to eat the crystals?

I've seen a few of my fish eat the salt crystals as they are floating down. All that happens is you see them spit out "wavy water" (dissolved salt). Never seemed to hurt any of mine at all.

Back
Top Bottom