Aquarium sand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KPhilly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can someone show me where to buy aquarium sand for my 100 gallon 39Lx20Wx27H tank? How much would I need to achieve a thickness of 2 inches for live plants?

Can someone show me where to buy aquarium sand for my 100 gallon 39Lx20Wx27H tank? How much would I need to achieve a thickness of 2 inches for live plants?

Play sand is good. Or pool filter sand. Don't let yourself get ripped off spending a fortune on 'aquarium' sand. Give them a good rinse and you're good to go! You get MUCH more for your money. No idea how much you'll need for that size tank, I'm sure someone can advise!

I was looking online and all the sand I saw was out the roof! But how do the plants get nutrients from this?

Aquarium sand and pool filter sand are no different in regards to plants. I used 100 pounds for my 125 of menards pool filter sand.

Think about 80 pound would be good for me? How would you recommend cleaning it?

You can wash half a bucket at a time till you get it clean or you can run a hose in the bag opening both ends to let water out of one side. Plats that have roots will need root tabs at first.

I have a liquid fertilizer that you can pour in the water and it won't effect PH.

I would recommend pool sand as it is a little more heavy than play sand. Some people find it hard to clean.

I'm not entirely sure what plants I want to use yet. What kind would you recommend?

I used pool sand and it came out great, I used 100 Pounds for my 72g, i filled a 5 gallon bucket about 1/4 full with sand and flushed out sand till water ran clear

Anubias and java fern are plats you can place on rock or wood and don't need ferts. I would stay in the low light spectrum now.

Anyone know of a good small bottom feeded for my tropical tank its planted and has sand and i could do with a bottom feeder to stir it up once in a while? sorry for off topic post couldent think of anywere else to post it!

Back
Top Bottom