Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2006, 08:04 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Are books that useful? Can't we find everything on this forum?
Books are valuable references and are immediately available.

Books open the doors to other areas of the hobby that you may not come across while seeking answers to your questions online. For example...without books, I may not have ever known about the different styles of reef systems and now I am very interested in creating a deep reef from what I learned by reading books. I never would have thought of asking about deep reefs online because I never knew about it to begin with to ask until I read a book about it. Without books, I may not have known that black capped basslets can live together. Because of reading books, I know my deep reef plan can include a small group of black capped basslets.

There is a ton of info. available online, yes, but books are still the number one source of information. They are documented publications on paper and if you get the ones written by true professionals in the field, you'll have a wealth of information immediately available at your finger tips. And hey...it doesn't need to be plugged in to view...LOL.

Marine tanks can be costly, but so can freshwater. There are ways to cut costs such as instead of buying all live rock which can be one of the most expensive investments in a marine system, you can buy some live rock and plant them between pieces of lace or lava rock for the natural growth to spread to create more live rock. Lace and lava rock costs what? Two buck a pound? Live rock can go for as much as $7 a pound. Average cost is about $5 a pound. BIG difference especially for a big tank.

Another way of cutting costs for FW or marine is to invest more money on a better filtering system (like a sump system). The cost itself is a lot up front, but overall in the long run, it will save you hundreds on filter media replacements, chemicals, and food.

My little 18 gallon mini reef has a retail value of about $1500. It was stocked with all live rock and all live sand, but that value includes absolutely everything in, on, and around the tank....lights, refugium, pumps, rock, fish, inverts, coral, sand, tank, heater, etc. Great thing is...once that's spent, the cost of maintaining is low and with less physical effort by the aquarist. The tank is more enjoyable rather than a pain to deal with.

You can create freshwater environments that are just as simple and the same basic rules apply. Sumps can be used for any type of aquatic environment...FW, marine, or brackish. It's so much easier to maintain and the heating elements can go in the sump instead of directly in the tank. Sumps have a larger filtering capacity and that is always good. The first chamber is your mechanical filtering with a filter bag or floss. Next chamber belongs to any chemical filtering like carbon, zeolite, peat, nitrate absorbers, etc. The last chamber houses the bio other than any rock or wood in the main tank. Some use rock. Some use mud and plants. Mud and plants refers to a refugium. The only difference between FW and marine or brackish are the types of mud and plants used and of course the salt levels in the water.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #32

I agree you still have time. I wouldn't beable to wait thou. LOL I'm not a patance man either. I'd go a head and get it and get it set up. Then By the time the move came. It'd be already set and ready to go in the new home. but thats just MO
Old 04-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Guys, I think that I'll wait to be in the new house to buy a big tank and might even wait a bit more to go with a SW reef since that's my ultimate goal. I'd skip the 75 gallon FW tank. I'd buy a small one in the mean time. That way, my son could enjoy looking at fishes right away, it would be easy to move and would give me some practice.

There's this kit on sale here, what's your thought on it? (not available in the US)
http://www.geosystemaquarium.com/geo...its.php?link=4
It's the geosystem 80 from Hagen and includes:
• 31 U.S. Gal. (118 L) all-glass aquarium (80 x 35 x 45 cm) (31.5 X 13.8 x 17.7 in.)
• Black Aquarium Cabinet
• Double Fluorescent Canopy
• 2 x Life Glo 24", 20 Watt Fluorescent Bulbs
• Fluval 204 External Power Filter
• AquaClear Submersible Aquarium Heater, 150 Watt
• Marina Digital Thermometer
• Nutrafin Max Complete Flake Food, 26 g (0.92 oz)
• Nutrafin Cycle, 30 ml (1 fl oz)
• Nutrafin Aqua Plus, 30 ml (1 fl oz)
• Nutrafin Waste Control, 30 ml (1 fl oz)
• GEOsystem Aquarium Guide

Sale price of 300$ CDN instead of 400$. I'd rather go with a 20 tank since it's just a small one but I think that the 20 gallon kit would be pretty much the same price...

Should I just buy a cheaper 20 gallon kit with an HOB filter instead? Or go with a cheap 10 gallon eclipse to cut my expenses even more until I move then wait to have the $$$ for a reef if such a kit (20 / 30 gallon like the geosystem above) becomes useless once I make the switch to a reef?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

This part is up to you. Either of those tanks would be suitable as a QT for when the big tank is set up. Just depends on how much you want to spend now However, I'll say the canister wouldn't be useful for the QT.

A QT should be simple and easy to sanitize after each use. Bare bottom with just a heater, thermometer, a simple HOB or sponge filter, and a hide out for the fish (non porous preferred).

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com