Aquarium weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lunker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am considering moving to a second floor wood framed apartment. Will my 105 gal. tank (approx weight is 1200lbs + approx load is 120lb/sq.ft.) pose a problem on a second floor of a wood framed apartment?

I'm sorry, but i really cant help you :cry:
I suggest u ask at your local hardware store or such. Maybe search over the internet
sorry
Justin :yum:

Well, I'm no good at figuring out this sorta thing either, but you need to ask your landlord if its ok, and if they are fine with it.

A friend of mine at work just had to get rid of his 55 because he was on the 3rd floor apartment and it put cracks in the ceiling below him. It was a real shame because he's a newbie and was very excited about the hobby. He was also being smart and doing all his tests/research.

He must live in a cheaply built apartment for a 55 to cause problems!

There really is no way to tell without examining the structure. There are way too many factors, such as:

1. Joist Size
2. Joist Spacing
3. Joist Material
4. Subflooring
5. Distance from load bearing wall
6. Additional span or point loads
7. Damage caused by wood rot, termites, etc.
8. Quality of workmanship and material

Now, with all that said, if you are planning to install it, I would reccomend you:

1. Install it on an exterior wall (shear force placed on a joist increases and the load is moved further from the point of support, up to a maximum load equidistant from each point of support).
2. Determine, if at all possible, the location of the joists and span as many as possible to decrease the load placed on any one joist.
3. It would be my reccomendation to set it up slowly. Do not fill it all the way up in one day. I would add maybe 20 gallons a day for 5 days at the fastest, just incase something does occur, you can catch it before any major damage. It would help to know the people below you.

Some sort of disclaimer: I personally think that when you exceed a 50 gallon aquarium, you are far better off placing it on a concrete surface, such as a lower level. With the typical freshwater aquarium loaded weighing in at 12#/gal, you can cause structural damage if the tank is not properly supported. If you must place it on an elevated, wood constructed floor, take due care and caution to avoid damage to the surface. Before installing your aquarium, inspect the location you plan to install it.

:?: Thanks for the response, any others have experience with heavy tanks on second floor? Any one have any experience with a tank/terrerium set up. I could move my contents and set up to a 75gal. at my office. Then I could set up a tank/terrerium with less water and weight with plants fish and amphibians.

tank weight

I have a 55 on the second floor of my house and have had no problems with it. This place has 2x10 joists on 16" centers though. For my 110 (4' tank) downstairs, I noticed some sagging and had to go under the floor and double the joists and install screw jacks for extra support. I'd be kinda nervous about putting a large tank upstairs in an apartment. Possibly you could find out who built the building and talk to them about it? If I did go ahead with it, I would be aware of the liabilities if there was a disaster. I also think bearfan gave excellent advice as to filling the tank slowly over a period of several days and watching for signs of stress.
Logan J

filling it slowly may prevent immediate disaster, but you may have problems eventually from the stress the weight puts on the structure, and most apartments are built rather inexpensively---and you may be sued by the ppl below you if it falls on their head or their child's head , etc. , not to mention by the apartment complex for damages to their property--i would definately have someone professionally inspect it and have your landlord's approval in writing before doing that in a rented dwelling on a second or third floor.....just my opinion of couse ( can you tell i work in a high liability profession? lol) :lol:

My 45 gallon is in my room, upstairs in our detached, 5-bed house and that worries the hell outta me sometimes, even though it seems fine. Trouble is, although these things seem fine, you never know what is happening underneath. :?

Check with your landlord, if they give you the go ahead, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom