Aquascaping a 150g.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Day 24. Done some major cutting on the long stem plants, some were bending
over the top and reducing light. Nypheae coming out nicely, and an old, weakly
amazon swordplant which was rescued from my lowtech 29g is growing fast,
behind the large wood pieces. Should be visible on next update.

FINALLY, some clear water! Got my UV installed yesterday, and it's a Miracle!
had cloudy water from the beginning, and green water since about a week.
Cleared up in less than 24 hrs.
Finally getting some NO2, NO3 readings, I guess I will have a cycle afterall...
or perhaps this is due to the dying algea. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• day24.jpg
    day24.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 111
Dying algae is worth it, lol! You may be right, too, that the decaying algae (I never tire of saying that :wink: ) will cause your burgeoning biofilter to take a hit.

There has been so much talk about UV's lately - I am so tempted!! (all the cool kids are doing it :wink: )

I would not advise running UV during a cycle, no matter how much it may clear up your water :wink: During the cycle your bio-filters have not been completely colonized by nitrifying bacteria and benefit greatly from being exposed to the free-floating bacteria in the water column. UV, however, will kill all of the free-floating nitrifying bacteria in your water column and extend the length of the cycle greatly. I guess if you're in no hurry to get your bio-filter up to maximum strength it shouldn't make any difference. I think I read this as a bit of expert advice in the DrsFosterSmith catalog. Makes sense to me.

And yes TG, all the cool kids are running UV now. My favorite thing about it (and I have lousy quarantine procedures) is that I've never had a sick fish since I started using it (almost a year now) :D

:shocked!:

That tank is gorgeous. I went back to the beginning of this thread once again to see how your original plan and what you've accomplished is amazing.

Good job...keep that CO2 pumping (or slowly dripping). :D

UV huh? hmmm...

Thanks guys! :D I'm pretty pleased for a beginner!
Travis that makes a lot of sense, about the UV & bacteria... didn't think about it.
Well, I'll clear the water then shut it down for a while. Thanks again!

I think in your case with your lighting, CO2 and plant growth your cycle will be relatively "silent." I am interested to hear what differences you note when you D/C the UV for a bit.

:D Great thread. It's very cool to have a sort of photo essay on the progress of your tank. I really like what you've accomplished. :wink:

Just caught up with the thread. Excellent planning and execution of ideas! I am green with......well you know.
(y)

Tank after 4 weeks... growing pretty fast!
The nympheae is shooting leaves to the surface, should get a flower eventually,
now my girl is getting interested :lol:

Okay, now I would like to have some suggestions...
I would like to plant another row in front of the myriophyllums and behind the
carpet plants... something that would contrast (different colour & foliage type) and
that does not grow too high... (and hopefully something that is not too hard to find)
Any ideas? :wink:

Attachments

• day29.jpg
    day29.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 98
Looking good :) Cryptocoryne wendtii variants are great for midground and should be easy to find and raise. They don't require much light and grow fairly quickly once established. Plus they come in quite a few different varieties: 'Red', 'Green', 'Brown', and many different, harder to find variants.

Thanks guys! :D
I kinda like those... are they okay with high light?
Well I guess I could just give it try, I did see some of those at one of the LFS.

By the way, anybody in the Montreal area in need of cuttings... :lol:
I am throwing away a whole bunch every week

Cryptocoryne wendtii adjusts well to high light, which causes it to grow a little lower to the ground - though that may be just what you want :)

Here's a pic of a C. wendtii 'Green Gecko' variant I've got growing in my tank taken from above to give you an idea of how they spread laterally. This one is about 4-5" tall now and doesn't look like it's going to get much bigger (heightwise anyway :wink: )

Green_Gecko_Top_030605_x800.jpg

Cool! Thanks for the pic. I will try to find some! 8)
Oh Danny... Montreal is probably a good 16 hours drive (from Chicago) :lol:

Just a quick update, the tank is now 7 weeks old, and now home to my very first
cichlids! (see below). I had to chop down the hygro. corymbosa almost to nothing
(extreme left) to give a chance to the ludwigia arcuata to get some light, they are
now coming out nicely (some cuttings have been transplanted to the right, in front
of the myriophyllum, and I added some crypts (I think crispatula...) in front of the
red myriophyllum (could not find the wendtii...) they seem to be doing okay, but
not growing very fast. Some algea, but nothing to panic about. The lilaeopsis in
the middle foreground is doing poorly... barely growing, and it gets covered with
some brownish stuff (looks like algea). I hope that the sag. subulata will take the
space over.
Now I'm pretty much at the limit as far as fish & plants are concerned...
starting to think about another tank... muah, ah, ah, here it comes: MTS :twisted:

Attachments

• day46.jpg
    day46.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 166
Back
Top Bottom