Aquatic Frog Questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK so all of the sudden I've fallen in interest of getting a frog. One of those African Dwarf Frogs are they called?

Are these fully aquatic?

What is a good tank size for one, or a group of 2 or 3?

What are the difference between these and clawed frogs? Just claws?

And finally and most importantly, how do they fare with plants? Glosso?

Any sort of info at all helps
TIA!

Apperently there not called african dwarf frogs, its albino dwarf frogs. I didn't know either till I was corrected on here, I still think there is an african dwarf frog lol. from what I have heard they are fully aquatic, and mostly blind, you almost have to hand feed them shrimp pellets. but once agian thats what I heard. For 2-3 of them I would say something around the area of 20-30 gallons.

jbarr said:
What are the difference between these and clawed frogs? Just claws?

TIA!
and about 6 inches carnivorous amphibian :D

Clawed frogs get pretty big (female get 7-8 inches long) males are a little smaller, both will eat anything they can get in their mouth.

And the clawed frogs live for quite a long time. I bought 3 dwarf frogs (there aren't albino dwarf frogs btw) 5 years ago for my dad as a gift. Well, I didn't know what I was doing at the time and they turned out to be clawed frogs. They have since eaten every fish in his tank and I am inheriting them back!! They can live 15 years or more.

For ADFs, yes they are fully aquatic and I'd speculate that 10 gallons is lots for a small group of them. I'd probably put 2 in a 5 gallon even. As for plants, I don't know any specifics about glosso, but I know my acfs sure like to hang out in my hornwort.

african clawed frogs are the albino ones commonly sold at wal-mart, they get big and kill smaller african dwarf frogs.

i kept some for a few years, i'd say a 10 gallon is minimum for the dwarfs, and a 20 gallon minimum for a few clawed frogs.

they each need cover, and frozen or live foods

African Dwarf Frogs (which as mentioned, are never albino) are great. I have 3 of them in a 3 gallon eclipse but they'd do better in a larger tank. They are VERY active and are really adorable. A 10Gallon could probably house 5 nicely and give them lots of space for you to watch their antics.
They breath air so need to be able to get to the surface pretty easily. I have a nice proportional sized anubia in the tank with them and can usually find one of them "standing" on a leaf - pretty cute - they look like little green men LOL. I also broke one of those moss balls into four pieces and scattered them on the bottom of the tank. They like to hide under it. I'm sure they'd appreciate just about any type of plant you'd want to grow.
As for the Clawed Frogs (most often seen as albinos) they get HUGH and are best suited to a species only tank since they are agressive and will eat just about anything that can fit in their mouth (or should I say "stuff into" their mouth).
I enjoy watching my ADFs - feeding time is interesting. They have very poor eyesight so the best way to ensure they eat is to squirt food (I use defrosted frozen bloodworms or tadpole bits) directly in front of them. Others have created a "feeding dish" to put into the tank where they put the food and the frogs soon learn that's where the food is.

here's a link to a forum dedicated to both African Dwarf and African Clawed frogs
http://www.flippersandfins.net/

How are the Dwarf frogs on substrate? In the tank I'd be planning on putting it in, I have a fine sand substrate with glosso. I'd let it grow in for a while, but do you think a dwarf frog would be uprooting it a lot?

Yep, the frogs will uproot it unless its established with a decent root system. I tried clover with them and it all got uprooted. The recommendation for substrate for them are pebbles so that they can't swallow it - not that I've experienced any problems with them swallowing the EcoComplete in their tank. Do you have glosso in another tank that you could rip a sheet from and use that in the ADF tank and then replant in the first tank ? That would probably work better. The little dudes are REALLY active :)

Well I suppose I'll just let the glosso grow in a bit. That'll also give time to my Banana Plant & Bacopa to grow into sizeable stepping stones for surface-goers. Woah, quite the alliteration.

Back
Top Bottom