Aquatic wood question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordo124

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a small piece of aquatic wood from petco ... What should i do before putting it in the tank?

I'm going to guess you got mopani, because that is where i got mine too. Mopani driftwood realeases a ton of tannins into the water so if you don't want that i suggest boiling the heck out of it. If you don't mind the tannins you can just wash it with warm water and then put it in the tank. When you first put it in, it might start growing this white goo, don't worry about it, it doesn't harm your tank and it will go away probally within a week.

Either way, boil it .. If it's Mopani as mention it will be full of tannins. Boiling it for 20 minutes will ensure any unwanted microbes are dealt with, but it'll still have a ton of tannins. If you want to remove a bunch of tannins.... Well ... be ready for hours of boiling.(y)

And yes, as mentioned by adammorrill, don't be surprised by white thread like stuff appearing ... Harmless, and some fish eat it.

But it was already in water when i bought it... What is healthier for my gold nugget pleco? ( i just bought from the same petco) is it healthier for him just to let it tan or boil it?

If it was already in petcos tank, I don't think it is mopani driftwood. In this case you don't have to boil it, you can just plop it in the tank or wash it a little to make sure no pesty snails are on it. Your pleco will be happy with any kind of driftwood.

Gordo124 said:
Also is playsand bad for plecos?

play sand is perfectly fine for plecos, I have play sand in my tank with no issues. I had gotten a piece of DW from Petco (from their tanks) as well when I first started my tank. I rinsed it off real good and its been in there since last December with no problems.

Great! Than my pleco should be safe... I dont want this little guy to die!

Back
Top Bottom