Aqueon 2.5g MiniBow design flaw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so after having this tank a while I've noticed a pretty big flaw (IMO). The fixture is positioned so the bulb it's directly over the filter, which is open. At first I didn't think twice about it till I put a cfl in to turn the tank planted, well with in a week or so the filterpad was covered in algae. So now I have to clean the filter Quite often to keep it from being caked in algae.

Now obviously this is only and issue with plant friendly bulbs. And there maybe be a reason the fixture is that way (space).

But I think they could have made some sort of cover our something to go over the filter pad to prevent this.

Here are some pictures, I just cleaned the filter so there really isn't anything on in, but in a week or so it'll be covered.
ForumRunner_20111203_172617.jpg

ForumRunner_20111203_172705.jpg

00youknowit00 said:
Okay so after having this tank a while I've noticed a pretty big flaw (IMO). The fixture is positioned so the bulb it's directly over the filter, which is open. At first I didn't think twice about it till I put a cfl in to turn the tank planted, well with in a week or so the filterpad was covered in algae. So now I have to clean the filter Quite often to keep it from being caked in algae.

Now obviously this is only and issue with plant friendly bulbs. And there maybe be a reason the fixture is that way (space).

But I think they could have made some sort of cover our something to go over the filter pad to prevent this.

Here are some pictures, I just cleaned the filter so there really isn't anything on in, but in a week or so it'll be covered.

There wasn't a design flaw when you didn't modify the hood by putting in a different kind of bulb. So the company made no design flaw, they just decided to make it that way for the not so good light. But I do thing it is a problem when that happens. I have the same issue on my ten gallon. Maybe you could find a way to cover the filter so it is not in the light.

maxwellag said:
There wasn't a design flaw when you didn't modify the hood by putting in a different kind of bulb. So the company made no design flaw, they just decided to make it that way for the not so good light. But I do thing it is a problem when that happens. I have the same issue on my ten gallon. Maybe you could find a way to cover the filter so it is not in the light.

I agree that it's only a problem if you change the bulb. I haven't found anything thin enough theres completely opaque.

I have thought about stuffing a second piece of foam on top and just changing that one out every now and then.

JBJs halfmoon 8 gallon had this same flaw except with the stock bulb.

I've thought about maybe getting plexiglass and painting it black, and laying it over the top. And just notching it so it fits around the ”water spout” and seats nice. I don't really know what would be the best way to do it. But it's getting pretty annoying now.

Got any old hoods laying around? Cut a piece out and set it on top of it. Anything to cover the pad will help.

Dang! Blue cartrdige! Anyways, here is what I did-

Tossed that filter in the trash

Cut out the little plastic in the hood where it sits

(looks like a normal hood now)

Bought a red sea deco art nano filter

Everyone is SOOO much better. Costs 12$

:)

Sure!

Excuse the quality. iPhone 3g (ugh!)

Attachments

• image-2458133678.jpg
    image-2458133678.jpg