aqueon powerhead issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipedreamer86

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i recently bought an aqueon 1250 powerhead for my 150 gallon aquarium, and it keeps falling off the side!! Anyone else have this issue and how did you resolve it? I love the flow it provides and would like to fix this.

Can you take a picture of it so we can get a better idea of what you mean?

Take it out & clean the suction cups with bit vinegar. Rinse well & make sure they are dry. Do a water change down to the level where you want to put this. Scrape the area you want to place with old cc or grocery card & wipe with paper towels until its clean & dry. Stick your powerhead back on. You may have to breathe on the suction cups if they dont stick the first time. If they still dont stick, try placing something warm on the glass to warm it a little bit (towel out of dryer or micro) before trying to stick it again. If the glass is too cold (or slimy/not clean), they will never stick. Hope this works for you!

Take it out & clean the suction cups with bit vinegar. Rinse well & make sure they are dry. Do a water change down to the level where you want to put this. Scrape the area you want to place with old cc or grocery card & wipe with paper towels until its clean & dry. Stick your powerhead back on. You may have to breathe on the suction cups if they dont stick the first time. If they still dont stick, try placing something warm on the glass to warm it a little bit (towel out of dryer or micro) before trying to stick it again. If the glass is too cold (or slimy/not clean), they will never stick. Hope this works for you!

Thanks! Any advice on best position in the tank doe this. It has a much more powerful flow than i expexted and has my plants rocking 3-4ft away when placed on an end wall. Should i do a side wall and let.the current bounce around?

I run powerheads & wavemakers in my 55gs. The best position I have found for them is to place them in the back wall of the tank (right & left side) and aim the flow at an angle to the front glass so it bounces off the glass and is distributed througout the tank. As your tank is much larger, you may need to experiment a bit (holding it running in different positions in your tank) to see where the most useful placement would be. My plants sway in the current but nothing crazy. :)

I was a little concerned at the plants swaying, it looks like a gentle breeze but with it being constant i didnt know if that would be harmful

Don't quote me on this but it's been my experience that my plants seem to do better and there are less algae issues with a bit of current. The water movement keeps a constant supply of nutrients to the plants as well as it seems to keep algae from growing on them. Granted, I don't keep any delicate or complicated plants but I'm sure there's plants that would prefer zero water movement. My take anyway! :)

Back
Top Bottom