Aqueon Quietflow to AquaClear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should I switch my Quietflows for AquaClears?

• Yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two tanks (20g high, 10g) that are fully cycled and stocked. The 20g high tank has an Aqueon Quietflow 30 (200gph) and a Marineland Duetto 100 (92gph) filter in it. The 10g tank has an Aqueon Quietflow 10 (100gph) and a Tom Aquarium Mini Internal (45gph) filter running.

The only modifications I've made to my filters were:
- Added a Fluval Chi foam pad between the bio-holster and outflow of the Aqueon Quietflow filters because I wasn't 100% sold on the filter's biological filtration capability.
- Took out the carbon insert from the Duetto 100 and put the biological foam pad from the Duetto 50 (which fit perfectly) in its place.
- Dumped out the carbon in the Tom filter (compartment at the top of the filter media) and put a foam pad cut to size in its place for added biological filtration.

I went to an aquarium auction last Saturday hosted by the MN Aquarium Society. One thing I noticed throughout the auction was the number of Aqueon Quietflow 30's that were auctioned off. Yes, they sold for an average of $11, but I couldn't help but notice that people were looking to get them off their hands.

I've also started to rethink the benefit of easy-change filter media of the Quietflows. Yes, they're very easy to take out and put back in, but the amount of filter media on those cartridges is actually pretty thin.

Should I consider replacing the Quietflow filters for AquaClears?

I do remember having an AC filter on a tank I had many years (and a few apartments) ago. I remember that in order to change (or clean) the filter media, you had to pull the whole basket out, which if memory serves was quite messy. Water, water everywhere.

Can't go wrong with AquaClear filters IMO. I had a couple until I switched to planted tanks. They are superior to those filters using a cartridge, again IMO. I never had an issue with them being messy. I let the basket drip over the filter for a minute, then put the media in a bucket and started rinsing it. I always ran a sponge on the bottom, ceramic rings in the middle, and a sponge on top.

Oh, and I voted YES ;)

mfdrookie516 said:
Can't go wrong with AquaClear filters IMO. I had a couple until I switched to planted tanks. They are superior to those filters using a cartridge, again IMO. I never had an issue with them being messy. I let the basket drip over the filter for a minute, then put the media in a bucket and started rinsing it. I always ran a sponge on the bottom, ceramic rings in the middle, and a sponge on top.

Oh, and I voted YES ;)

Why did you stop using AquaClears in planted tanks? Moved to canister filters?

Why the sponge on top? Is that to allow for quick seeding of another filter?

Surface agitation. I run canisters to prevent that. The sponge on top was just to add more mechanical filtration. My water was always crystal clear.

If I were to swap in AquaClears, are the ceramic rings the best biological media I could add to the filter? What about API bio-chem stars, or bio-balls that I typically see in canister filters, or loosely woven foam pads?

James_in_MN said:
If I were to swap in AquaClears, are the ceramic rings the best biological media I could add to the filter? What about API bio-chem stars, or bio-balls that I typically see in canister filters, or loosely woven foam pads?

I think that the best is the ceramic rings, but they are more expensive, IMO they provide more surface area and last longer. I vote for the AquaClear also being much better and more silent. The AquaClear offers flexibility and more biological filtration.

I vote for yes, if you have the budget, changed.

Back
Top Bottom