Aqueon Water Changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Oh My! :facepalm: So I saw the lady at the fish store show me how easily she operated the Aqueon Water Changer. I was thrilled at how simple it looked and how effective it was...

So I bought one, got an adapter for my bathroom faucet, and rev'd it up! Not as easy to use as I thought. Before I knew it 1/2 the water was sucked out of my 10 gallon established tank! My husband and I tried to fiddle with it and were only able to get water to refill from the tap (adding dechlorinater to the tank) and just stopped right there.

Can someone tell me how the heck to moderate the vaccum action of this thing so it doesn't suck water and just cleans the gravel? Crazy!

It has to suck water to clean gravel. There should be a flow control valve that you can cut back (but not all the way) to get the flow you need.

Honestly one ten gallon is probably the only tank I wouldn't recommend using one on, but you can do it.

Filling from the tap is how it is supposed to work. You drain, dechlorinate, then fill.

Anyone who doesn't already have one: get the Deep Blue one and buy Lee's cleaning claw to go on the end. this will prevent fish from being sucked up and difuses flow when filling. It works better for sand though (not very effective at vacuuming gravel), but comes on and off very easily.

Good idea *canter... I actually bought it for my new 36 gallon that I need to do frequent water changes on while cycling but now I'm a little freaked out to use it! LOL! I don't want to start all over again before I know what happened!

I guess once I get more used to using it, I'll be able to understand the flow a bit better? <<sigh>>

I've got the aqueon one, and it is great. You can adjust the flow of the siphon in three ways. The main way is by the valve by your hand when you are vacuuming. You can also adjust it some (not very well) with the valve on the faucet adapter. To use this you almost need to get a good siphon going and then back the flow off a little. You can also adjust the flow rate by turning the water faucet higher, or lower.

Good luck!

I have a 55 gal. and a 29 gal. and have been wanting to buy the Aqueon, but have been unsure if it was worth it. All your answers have helped me to decide. Gotta have one. Thanks everyone.

I wouldn't use either as they are too slow and you can only do one tank at a time, unless you have 2 of them. You also can't fill the tanks quickly enough for my taste.

I wouldn't use either as they are too slow and you can only do one tank at a time, unless you have 2 of them. You also can't fill the tanks quickly enough for my taste.

Really? I can do a 50% PWC in about 10-15 minutes on my 20H. Seems reasonable to me. While I am filling it back up it gives me time to clean glass, decorations, move any plants, etc.

No, Aqueon has a very different gravel vac and sink faucet pump. Python and Lee's are almost identical, as is Deep Blue's new water changer.

Fishguy2727 said:
No, Aqueon has a very different gravel vac and sink faucet pump. Python and Lee's are almost identical, as is Deep Blue's new water changer.

Pretty much all the parts are interchangeable, I was able to frankenstien my python and aqueon together. The sink faucet pumps are almost the same too the only difference is the "switch" to go from fill to drain.

Really? I can do a 50% PWC in about 10-15 minutes on my 20H. Seems reasonable to me. While I am filling it back up it gives me time to clean glass, decorations, move any plants, etc.
Why would you clean the tank after draing rather than before? I clean before draining, and I will drain a second tank while the first is filling. Larger tanks I use a larger diameter hose for draining, which goes faster. My fill hose has a gooseneck that hangs on the tank and terminates with a tee so I can really move water in if I'm in a hurry.

Why would you clean the tank after draing rather than before? I clean before draining, and I will drain a second tank while the first is filling. Larger tanks I use a larger diameter hose for draining, which goes faster. My fill hose has a gooseneck that hangs on the tank and terminates with a tee so I can really move water in if I'm in a hurry.
Oh, LOL, I meant the outside of the glass, I guess I should be more specific. :oops: I clean the inside of the glass before I run the vac through.

On the larger hose you use, that must not be part of a water changer? Do you just manually start a siphon and let it run?

They water changer made a MASSIVE difference for me. When I had my 55, it would take me about an hour to do a 40% PWC with buckets (and that's if I was going pretty fast).

With the water changer, I was doing it in 15. And I actually timed it, bcz I'm a nerd like that lol.

I've now got a 120, and I do my weekly 50% PWC in about 25 min with the water changer. No idea how long it would take with buckets, but probably a good deal longer.

That said, there are of course ways to speed up the bucket method (larger buckets, a little water pump, etc...) but I find using a water changer way easier. Just my 2 cents.

Why do you prefer the Lee's? So far all the reviews seem to be better for the Aqueon. I'm a senior citizen and need what will make cleaning my tanks easier.

Back
Top Bottom