aquired an Aquaclear 70 filter, how to clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbalaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
As title says, I purchased a used filter that was described as runs good shape. It looks pretty clean already, but there is a small amount of stained areas I would like to clean off to make it as shiny an new as I can, and to make sure nothing nasty has been left behind, if that can even happen.
How does everyone go about cleaning this type of the thing. Is bleach/water mix ok to do and rinse and repeat with the rinse many times over before put into use?

Hagen Filter

As title says, I purchased a used filter that was described as runs good shape. It looks pretty clean already, but there is a small amount of stained areas I would like to clean off to make it as shiny an new as I can, and to make sure nothing nasty has been left behind, if that can even happen.
How does everyone go about cleaning this type of the thing. Is bleach/water mix ok to do and rinse and repeat with the rinse many times over before put into use?

Hello k...

Simply take the filter apart and put the pieces, except the electrical part, in a bucket of warm tap water with a couple of tablespoons of standard aquarium salt. Just let everything soak for a couple of hours or even overnight. The electrical part can be scrubbed inside with a small bottle brush. Actually, you really don't need to go to great effort to clean it. If it looks pretty clean already, you can set it up and run it. As long as you're keeping the tank the filter goes in really clean with large, frequent water changes, there's no parasite or virus that will live in pure water conditions.

B

the body of the filter looks really good, pretty clean, the intake tubes and U-tube has some dried algae and gunk, just wanted to get that cleaned out. Thanks again all

So I come up with these ideas and you think by now I would have learned to plan much better. My goal was to simultaneously run both filters on my tank, but even with the second cutout removed, I can't fit them both in. Now my dilemma, do I switch over to the aquaclear filter and hope I don't start another cycle in my tank or leave well enough alone? I could easily fit all the extra biomedia I packed in the back of my penguin 150 into the aquaclear including the bio-wheel and then some and hope my cycle holds.

Cut more of the lid out.
Hot **** you are a genius. I have been working too much and can't think straight, at least that is my excuse. I could get a dremel tool and just cut another inch and it would be perfect. Man I love this place. Although you guys are making me look silly most of the time lol, still love it here.

Lol. I've cut on a couple of mine in the past to fit two filters. Did it with a Dremel tool too. Works like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom