aqurium stand reinforcement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidowner042

Aquarium Advice Newbie
how can i reinforce my 125 gallon aquarium stand with the fish and all the water still on top? i just aquired this stand a month and a half ago and the stand didn't seem that durable when we transported it but we had to do it in a hurry to keep as many fish as we could. its been holding the same tank for 6 yrs and it hasn't fallen, i'd be heartbroken if it fell and i lost my fish and or my tank i'd like to have the tank for the rest of my life if possible. it actually amazes me that its holding it up it doesn't seem that well constructed it's a store bought stand not a homemade one it just looks like its held together with finishing nails, no screws, and the wood is all only about an inch or 2 thick nothing really sturdy. if you have any suggestions i really would appreciated it, i'm a new member and i'm sure i'll be on here a lot i'm always worried about my babies and this site seems to have a lot of good info. thanks.

hmmm ... its a thinker but why not look at it as if you were reenforcing a house. Thinking like that may come up with some ideas. Something else you could do is build a metal structure on the inside of the stand. Or you could add more wood (screwed into place) all over the inside of the stand. Make triangles more support for the tank(top of the stand) first and then work down for support. Just a few random ideas that may work. Something else you could do is talk to someone in your city/town that does a lot of custom tanks/stands or even a carpenter that is very good at his/her work. They all may have better suggestions on how to add more support.

I'm pretty sure you're worrying about nothing cichlidowner042. If the stand was built and designed to hold the tank, and it's functioned for 6 years, it will do the job for you. A column of wood is very strong. :wink:

thanks and merry christmas

those are some good ideas thanks for the advice i am probably worring too much i always am. i'm thinking about using floor jacks for extra support just to be sure

Back
Top Bottom