Archer/puffer brackish 46g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning on purchasing a 46g bowfront tank within the next few weeks. Was planning on upgrading from my 20 gallon, but want more interesting fish than my freshwater community. Then I considered a marine tank, but I simply can't afford it; not to mention all the saltwater fish I love require huge tanks (I will be short on space for the next 2-3 years). So now I am thinking about brackish, and had a few questions.

- I was wondering, would I need any extra equipment compared to a freshwater tank to set up a brackish tank than the usual filter, heater, powerheads etc.?

- Would archer fish be compatible with a Figure 8 puffer? (they are housed together at the local (very reputable) LFS, so I'm assuming they would be okay).

- Would young archerfish be okay for a year or two in a 46g tank? I know they will outgrow it eventually, but I hear they grow fairly slowly.

- How hard are archers to feed, really? Would freeze dried insects be a suitable diet?

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks!

Hiya Corey

1. Marine salt (not aquarium salt!) and a hydrometer or refractometer to measure the specific gravity.

2. To the best of my knowledge, the two should be fine together if raised together, seeing as one grows to 3 inches and the archers can reach almost 10 inches.

3. I would think two would be ok for no more than a year. Be prepared to return one though. They sometimes will become agressive to their own kind.

4. Archers require live foods. If you get them to accept frozen, then that's great, but it should still be fed live.

A link for you:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/qa/f/faq0014.htm

HTH

Back
Top Bottom