Are all aquariums safe to be used with salt water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Botia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 36 gallon bowfront Aqueon tank that I bought for my puffer about a month ago. The water gravity is at about 1.01. My question is if saltwater is safe in any aquarium? I did read something in the start up guide that something shouldn't be used with salt water (I'm guessing it was the light). I felt some of the silicone sealant and it feels like it is a bit curved in. Is it safe for salt water to be in ANY aquarium? Thanks!

No problem using salt water with aquarium. Using marine salt (such as Instant Ocean) for the water, not aquarium salt. What kind of fish are you trying to get?

It's a green spotted puffer. It is marine salt, I was just double checking since I was wiping off diatoms and thought the sealant was coming off the glass.

Start moving your fish to full marine water. Increase the salt gravity by up to 0.002 per week. Increase or decrease too fast = kill all your beneficial bacteria.

Many people use this time to cure live rocks in hopes to get rid of HOB/canister filters.

I was working toward it. So if I add live rock, could I only have live rock in the tank rather than my two HOB filters? I have two because I know puffers are messy. It would be nice if I could take them down and use them for other tanks. How much live rock would I need to add to make the tank safe for my puffer? I'm not entirely sure how that works. Is it just because of the nitrifying bacteria that accumulate on the live rock?

Yeah you could just replace the HOB with live rocks. You will need about 40lbs. Get 5lbs of live rocks and the rest can be base rocks. Yes nitrifying bacteria lives on the live rocks. Just get a powerhead and aim it at the live rocks. You should look into getting an HOB refugium and skimmer. Salt for the saltwater is very expensive if doing weekly 50% water changes. The refugium and skimmer will help cut down the frequency of water changes.

Back
Top Bottom