Are All Tetras Nippy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
My friend gave me fish for my birthday, knowing that I am into aquarium keeping, but he gave me livebearers and Black Skirt Tetras. The livebearers I can rehome, but I like the Tetras. Will they get nippy with my other fish?

Okay. I've got three right now. Should I bump it up three more? I have the room.

I've had tetras that were unexpectedly nippy.... just be aware that occasionally you get ones that don't confirm to what you might be expecting.

tetras and piranhas are in the same family, if tells you anything.
AS such, when they get hungry, they get aggressive. Just keep em well fed, and give them space and move and places to hide if need be.

I've experienced keeping a number of tetras at different points in time and the "nippiest" of them seem to be the Serpae tetras. The ones I had before took quite a bite out of my betta's tail (back when I didn't know better). In terms of movement, the Buenos Aires tetras are the most boisterous I've kept, chasing each other around. I'm not sure if they're nippy to other fishes though, as I had them with some cichlids, which they wouldn't dare tackle.

Most tetras (and I said MOST) will only go after fish of their own kind. Although I've had a couple different tetras who were set on going after everyone in the tank. But they should be fine.:D

Back
Top Bottom