Are Angelfish or Discus better in a community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheGuppyMan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hellooo! I posted a while back about my 60 gallon tropical tank that had TERRIBLE Ich- it's all better now! Thanks to God for heat and salt lol! Anyways, since a few of my little fishes sadly died from the disease, which was about 7-10 :bawl: I wanted to get some new fish. I have mostly small fish-tetras, guppies, swordtails, mollies, and platies around 2-3 inches bit, not including my 3 inch dwarf gourami. I asked petsmart what fish would look good in my tank that are on the larger side so they could stand out and they directed me to the angelfish. I loved the strains they had and was almost tempted to buy one, but I never listen to petsmart employees without research beforehand. So as part of this research, I am here asking you all what I should do. Should I get an angelfish? Or would my fish not get along well with it? I heard they are pretty docile to tank mates IF you buy them as babies. I was also looking at the Discus. I love both, but my des icon on what one to get depends on which one would do better in my tank. So...Angelfish, or Discus? And which types if any? Thanks so much! :thanks: Also my tank size is 60 gallons. I have currently about 35-40 small fish in it.

If it were me, I'd go angels. I live mine and can get several different patterns. I think discus are absolutely amazing color wise though, but they may have different needs than your other fish and are pretty sensitive. Add the angels last in the tank so they don't get the "tank is mine" mindset and its better to add them young so they won't look at smaller fish as food. I have 4 in my tank, one is about 3 inches in diameter and I've had her for about 3 months. I really like being able to watch them grow up. Not to mention discus are pretty expensive, 50+ for grade a

I'd recommend angels. Your starting off, and discus are ALOT. Of work, not to mention alot of feedings with high quality food which involves alot of water changes ect. Angels are really pretty and very easy to keep! I think you'd have no problem with them and they keep with lots of fish (they aren't to picky) although get them in groups (they're schoolin fish)

jbree13 said:
I'd recommend angels. Your starting off, and discus are ALOT. Of work, not to mention alot of feedings with high quality food which involves alot of water changes ect. Angels are really pretty and very easy to keep! I think you'd have no problem with them and they keep with lots of fish (they aren't to picky) although get them in groups (they're schoolin fish)

Angels are definitely not schooling fish, at all. This forum needs to learn the difference between schooling and shoaling, not trying to pick on you I hear it being misused all the time and its a pet peeve of mine I guess. Angels actually are neither, you can get a single angel and it will be perfectly happy, or you can get a group. You can't tell the sex until they mature but ideally you would want more females than males, or equal pairs, but buy them very young and you might not have a problem unless you end up with all males and one female

as Zimmanski mentioned angels are not schoolers or shoalers. They are more like guppies, platies or mollies in the sense that they do enjoy their own company but they do not NEED it. They do very well as singletons. Especially in a community tank where pairing up and spawning could cause problems within the tank or a tank that lacks the space to hold more than 1.

To the OP, I would def go for angel. They can be hit or miss with DGs but if yours fairs well with swordtails and other vibrant finnage like guppies I think you should be ok. I would get the angel as small as you can. They do grow fast, reaching most of their adult size by 6 months(around 6 inches) and will finish up the last 2ish inches in the last 6 months. Having them at the smaller size will possibly help with the smaller fish. Angels are known to eat fish that are small like neons but many say if you get the angel young enough and it grows with the fish they usually avoid it as a snack. I currently had 2 1/2 inch angel with neons, platy, lambchop rasbora and a honey gourami in a 30 gallon and it's working out fabulously.

Never had a discus. Angelfish seem to be peace until breeding then they force everyone into on half of the tank while protecting eggs. It's the only drawback I have.

I'm for angels all the way. I don't know the size of your tank as that would be the factor of how many you could safely keep. I have 13 in a 220g with a ton of little fish. In fact I just add 16 very small tank raised cardinal tetra's and am having no issues. My Rachovii killi's are maybe an inch long. So angels in communities do work. As time passes and they mature and personalities emerge there can alway be a chance of an issue arising but that is usually the exception rather than the norm IMO. I do agree with getting young/small angels. Angels reach breeding age at about 8 months but will continue to grow. If you get more than one angel don't be alarmed if they sometimes bicker with each other. They are cichlids and this is normal. The only time my angels chase little fish is when they are breeding and even then it is just enough to chase them off and go back to their eggs or wigglers.

Zimmanski said:
Angels are definitely not schooling fish, at all. This forum needs to learn the difference between schooling and shoaling, not trying to pick on you I hear it being misused all the time and its a pet peeve of mine I guess. Angels actually are neither, you can get a single angel and it will be perfectly happy, or you can get a group. You can't tell the sex until they mature but ideally you would want more females than males, or equal pairs, but buy them very young and you might not have a problem unless you end up with all males and one female

Im just trying to say that angels like being groups I'm going down to Peru to the Rivers in a few months and know people who have, they live together, there a socializing fish. There personalities come out more in groups then it would when they are alone. That's what I was trying to say

Im just trying to say that angels like being groups I'm going down to Peru to the Rivers in a few months and know people who have, they live together, there a socializing fish. There personalities come out more in groups then it would when they are alone. That's what I was trying to say

Lucky you doing the Peru trip. I've known a couple people who did it and thought it was great (except for the heat and bugs..lol). You'll have to take pic's or video but most of all enjoy!

jbree13 said:

Okay I do agree with that, still not schooling though, just be aware of what words you use when giving advice in the future

IMO they are boring if they are by themselves as many fish are...I enjoy watching fish swim/play/mate/etc... with their tank-mates whether their the same specie or different.....

While in the wild angels may exist and enjoy living in groups, to do so in the tank, you need a decent sized tank so they all have their own "space"

we have a 65gal and had 2 angels, and one killed the other as they got older because it wasn't enough room for them, together, apparently.

While in the wild angels may exist and enjoy living in groups, to do so in the tank, you need a decent sized tank so they all have their own "space"

we have a 65gal and had 2 angels, and one killed the other as they got older because it wasn't enough room for them, together, apparently.

You could have had two males or any number of reasons why one killed the other. With angels if you want to keep multiples (over 2) they do best not only in a larger tank but also in a larger group of at least 6 and preferably more. When there is a larger group of angels aggression is more spread out between the group making it almost impossible to just pick on one fish. I keep 13 in a 220g with a ton of plants. Even when a pair of two is breeding I have little trouble. Yes, they still bicker, that's what angels do but it's mostly just bluster with no real physical injury occuring.

You could have had two males or any number of reasons why one killed the other. With angels if you want to keep multiples (over 2) they do best not only in a larger tank but also in a larger group of at least 6 and preferably more. When there is a larger group of angels aggression is more spread out between the group making it almost impossible to just pick on one fish. I keep 13 in a 220g with a ton of plants. Even when a pair of two is breeding I have little trouble. Yes, they still bicker, that's what angels do but it's mostly just bluster with no real physical injury occuring.

I never said it can't be done, I said they need more space to do so, which is exactly what you said. Lol

If you are a beginner I would most deffintely go anglefish , maybe if you get more experienced you could try discus , i know i sure love mine

Back
Top Bottom