Are Aquaclears good filter systems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattman0182

Aquarium Advice Regular
I wanted a better filter than the one that came with the tank kit, so I went to my LFS to look at better ones. They had Tetra Whisper systems and Aquaclear systems. The employee suggested I go for the aquaclear.

I have had it for over a month and like it so far, but how fast should I have the water flow? I turn it down when I feed them and keep it medium the rest of the time.

My bristlenose loves to hang out by the intake so I am too cautious to turn it all the way up. It probably wouldnt harm him, but I just want to be safe.

Aquaclear is a good choice but the best is marineland/penguin

Do not buy the Whispers. They are terrible. I have one on my tank now, and soooo wish I could afford to replace it.

I have both and will say my Aqua Clear 70 Does the works on my 55 Gallon...Between the two Listed i'd go with Aquaclear...powerful and my water stays crystal clear.....i can do a water change and kick up particles and in less than 20 mins be able to turn my lights back on to a clear tank...its so powerful it sucks my java moss up and also the food i drop for my synodontis cats.

the Tetra models come included in a lot of tank kits, and I use a small one in my betta tank, on low flow. The rest of mine are AquaClears; if you get one, make sure you set it up 'level', or the water may not flow correctly. Once that's done, turn it on and forget it.

I like the aquaclear for the recycleable sponges. I keep a few extra to change out periodically as the bottom sponge gets clogged with tank debris periodically. I don't like that most other HOB brands have disposable filter media. I've run the charcoal and nitrate reducing media a couple of times, but generally pack the 50gal with 3 sponges that I occasionally wring out and sometimes switch a clean/dry sponge with one that has a ton of goop on it.

Back
Top Bottom