Are baby bristlenose plecos harder to keep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting a bristlenose pleco for my 55 gallon aquarium. The other day wen I was in my LFS, the only bristlenose plevos they had were about an inch long. I don't mind getting one this small, but does it mean like some younger fish that they are more sensitive to water conditions?

Out of 6 one inch long BN plecos I've had only one has died. IMO/E they are pretty easy to care for. Keep your water clean, offer him good food and make sure there is nothing to get stuck in like filter intakes and he'll be fine.

I have a small one but he is doing wonderful he is inch long and easy to maintain .

I have a small one but he is doing wonderful he is inch long and easy to maintain .

My BN was about an inch when i got him 6 months ago. Almost 3 inches now. Cute lil bugger :)

Most of the BN at my lfs are only an inch or so, too. Never seen a grown one in there. When they are young they tend to be more susceptible to things. Otherwise they will be just fine. :)

Mine doesnt seem to want to grow his bristles tho. Anyone know how old before they start getting bristly?

ccross said:
Mine doesnt seem to want to grow his bristles tho. Anyone know how old before they start getting bristly?

He may take awhile but a female only has a few small ones. You could have a female!

ccross said:

I've had mine for 6 months and are getting stubble maybe you have a female? They don't get any or maybe a little bit.

Thanks for all the replies. All being well, I will get one this weekend :)

Back
Top Bottom