Are Bettas Underestimated ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvijay07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Only a long time after I started fish keeping, I realized the charm of Bettas.

Bettas come in great shapes/colors.
Excellent personality.
Easy to keep.
Conveniently Priced.

However, it appears that they are widely underestimated for some of the same above reasons. Is this true ?

Vijay

I guess people just don't think that the little fish hardly moving in a little cup could be much fun. But once they get one, they get more and more and more! They are very addicting!

ashley

Yes, but the addicts get them in the Hex's. This is a whole another issue.

I have a betta in a 2 gal hex. I bought him for my mom. he's VERY beautiful!

Excellent !! Does this tank have any special decorations or plants ? Is the UGF being used in this tank ? Thanks.

I do have a UGF in the tank, he has a little silk plant which he hangs out by, and a snail with a sign that says no fishing.

He looks happy, he loves to swim and he responds to us :)

Hey wow !! That sounds splendid. With time, I am beginning to admire the beauty of small tanks more than larger tanks. They are very convenient and more satisfying.

Vijay

I have an Eclipse 6 on my desk at work with a betta, 5 neon tetras, and an otocinclus. Everyone comments that the betta will kill the neons but they eat faster and swim faster than the betta. What is interesting is that the betta cruises the tank rather than staying in a corner, and he likes to swim aggressively up to the oto's face but the oto just ignores him or swims over him to another part of the tank. I think he wants what the oto is eating but when the oto leaves he looks over where he was feeding as if trying to figure out what could possiblyh taste good there. I agree and hate the little 4 oz. bowls.

That is impressive. How long have you had the Oto for ? I heard they do better in schools. Also, for neon tetras I heard that atleast 6 are needed for a school. Is 5 OK ?

I doubt that the Betta would kill any neons. He will probably flare at them from time to time just to show them who is boss.

Bettas are slow moving. Sufficient space and hiding places are needed for the other fish.

tkos: he flares at the oto. Usually the neons are low and in the front and the betta patrols the back. When feeding the neons look like a shark frenzy. I try to get some food into a back area where the betta can eat in peace.

Re: 6
I had a 6th fish that died during acclimating. I have a pretty high PH and he died within three days. I've had the others for wuite a whikle now.

I would like to add another oto or two as my bio-wheel matures some more.

Yes, wait for a mature tank before adding more ottos. They do best is well established tanks. The neons are probably to small to worry about with a great creature like the otto to flare at (LOL).

My betta originally lived in my planted 10 gallon with white cloud minnows and cory catfish. After flaring at everyone a little bit he decided that only 1 cory was worth his attention and would make sure to visit him and flare evey so often. I guess he was kind of a jerk. Anyway it was fun to watch the catfish take off and hide.

Back
Top Bottom