Are bubbles nessesarry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

If you turn off your air pump and quit having bubbles, will it affect your plants or oxygen for the fish? Is the hob filter enough to keep oxygen in the tank if it doesnt splash the water? When my tank is full, it just circulates the water at the top.

I don't use airpumps in any of my tanks...just the HOB filters. They do a good job of aerating the surface. So no you don't need an airpump if your HOB is aerating the water.

If you don't use the airpump and the fish start gasping at the surface one day, then you should hook it back up, but usually the HOB is all you need.

how heavly planted is your tank? Plants us up oxygen at night, if you have alot of plants and nothing to add oxygen to the water (bubbles or splash from your hob) your plants might use up the oxygen and your fish could sufficate.

I have 2 hob's, a 60 gal and a 40 gal on a 55 gal tank(one on each side) with 8 small plants and one big one.

JDogg said:
how heavly planted is your tank? Plants us up oxygen at night, if you have alot of plants and nothing to add oxygen to the water (bubbles or splash from your hob) your plants might use up the oxygen and your fish could sufficate.

I would have to agree there. I lost 3 roseline sharks due to my plants taking too much O2 from the water. My tank is heavily planted though, so if you aren't heavily planted, the HOB should be enough. And if you aren't sure, put an airstone on a timer and run it only at night when the lights are off.

Plants taking oxygen from the water? Perhaps I was absent on that day in biology, but I thought plants used CO2 and released O2?

Ferret_Friend said:
Plants taking oxygen from the water? Perhaps I was absent on that day in biology, but I thought plants used CO2 and released O2?

At night they use O2 just like the fish. But during the day, photosynthesis begins and they produce O2.

Well, I got up this morning and none of my fish were gasping for air or dead, so everything is a-ok. But it's better to check and get advice first, so it's true, the only dumb question is the one you dont ask!

What LWB is referring to is for a more heavily planted tank. I dont think that 8 small plants in a 55 gal, with 2 AC'S would cause a problem at all.

If you even see your fish gasping for air, do a PWC, and check your water parematers.

That is correct, heavily planted. Check my 75G thread in my sig to see my heavily planted tank. It's turned out beyond my expectations. Another thing to remember too, temp is another factor. If you are keeping the temps around 76-80, you will be just fine. But if a warmer tank, as in 82+, you might think about using an airstone, and definitely when treating for ick above 86 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom