Are colored gravel/plants safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FashionD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The guy at my LFS told me that colored gravel and colored plants aren't safe for aquariums. He said that bottom dwellers on the colored gravel will start to lose their limbs (ie African dwarf frog) and the cories' barbells will get shorter because they're being burned off on the colored gravel. He said that colored plants release chemicals from the coloring that can harm fish, too. Any truth to this? I googled and found zero evidence of this so I wanted to ask those who may have had experiences. Thanks!

I agree, i myself had colored gravel when i first started out, and my brothers currently have colored gravel with no problems. I assume by colored plants you mean orange, pink, red etc.... fake plants? As oppossed to what green fake plants? green is a color too! i would not see why the color of the fake plant would matter. I personally prefer natural gravel (hopefully changing to sand soon) and green fake plants (and some real ones!) but it is all personal preference.

Totally false, I have black substrate and red silk plants in my tank. Nothing has happend, not even a flicker in my water params. I'd say all it could do is make your tank look better. As far as hurting fish don't worry it won't.

Aski247 said:
Totally false, I have black substrate and red silk plants in my tank. Nothing has happend, not even a flicker in my water params. I'd say all it could do is make your tank look better. As far as hurting fish don't worry it won't.

My "i agree" was not very clear. i meant i agree with butterfly_koi.

Totally, fishfanatic! The LFS guy said that fake colored plants release their color into the water which is toxic to the fish. However, he said green fake plants/coloring aren't as bad. Dye is dye, right?! Thx for your replies, all. I have dark blue gravel and was hesitant to get cories with the coloring, but feel better now.

FashionD said:
Totally, fishfanatic! The LFS guy said that fake colored plants release their color into the water which is toxic to the fish. However, he said green fake plants/coloring aren't as bad. Dye is dye, right?! Thx for your replies, all. I have dark blue gravel and was hesitant to get cories with the coloring, but feel better now.

I had mixed green, purple and dark blue gravel with no problems, and one of my brothers still uses it after about 8 years!

Back
Top Bottom