Are Discus really that hard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Discus for me have always been pretty hardy, but maybe I'm just lucky ;) The biggest thing with cichlids is watch their aggression (usually not a problem with discus) and keep a very clean tank. Good luck!

I've recently acquired 5 young discus for my 55G and just thought I'd share my thoughts on my experience.

Firstly, I started with 3 discus. This was too few and saw a lot of bickering and aggression between the discus.

Secondly I did a bare tank but I failed to paint the bottom of my tank. As a result my discus were disorientated and often swam/rested at an angle.

Adding two more discus has had a remarkable effect on the group, they're much more social towards me and each other.

Adding substrate has given the group much more comfort and are all swimming perfectly.

Here are my first three :)

Oh man that blood pigeon discus looks SO AWESOME I WANT HIM!

Beautiful fish. I've had my four juvenile for about two week. Two have adjusted well but two are not eating. I have two San merah ( the ones not eating and darker when u see the pics) and two curipera .

Attachments

• image-736599616.jpg
    image-736599616.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image-148013186.jpg
    image-148013186.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image-618075888.jpg
    image-618075888.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image-684936657.jpg
    image-684936657.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 71
Beautiful fish. I've had my four juvenile for about two week. Two have adjusted well but two are not eating. I have two San merah ( the ones not eating and darker when u see the pics) and two curipera .

It's not a good thing but semi normal for discus to not eat at first. You could ask the breeder what he/she has been feeding them that might make all the difference.

They are only about 4 months old, when do they start developing their colors, is it by size or age?

Ehiem filters are easier to clean the hob ac filters imo. And why does it matter of uneaten food gets sucked up it will in any filter. You just need to keep up in your tank maintenance. The ehiem are so easy to rinse though. All the media just pulls straight out like the ac. Only thing is you don't have the water dripping all over the place. Also priming the ehiem is the easiest thing in the world!

Sometimes if discus aren't eating you can raise the temp a bit and they will start to eat. The one speaker at a local fish club said to raise the tank to 89f if your discus aren't eating... Seems a little high but I'm sure they could handle it maybe just raising it a bit more will help them out.

Sometimes if discus aren't eating you can raise the temp a bit and they will start to eat. The one speaker at a local fish club said to raise the tank to 89f if your discus aren't eating... Seems a little high but I'm sure they could handle it maybe just raising it a bit more will help them out.

+1 on this raising the temp can snap them right out of it I've seen it happen.

Jesselav1233 said:
Don't know If I'd go to 89 but maybe a couple degrees up would help

That's what I was thinking when he said it lol. On a plus though you would never have ich in the tank

Its 86 right now highest that heaterwill bring it im using my extra heater, the one in my other tank died.. I have a feeling they might have hexamita. The poop has been wierd and they have the symptoms. I bought parasite guard which has praziquantel, diflubenzuron, metroonidazole and acrflavine. I am wondering if i should remove my plants.

Thanks

I wouldn't add meds unless your sure there is an ailment in play. Discus more then often respond badly to meds and can cause other issues making things worse try warm water do water changes every couple days maybe lights off for longer so they can stay calm. Give them time I've had discus take up to 3 weeks to start eating after acclimation. Dark colors are normal for stressed discus. I hope they make it.

I had already added the meds. Also turned the heat to 88. 3\4 are getting risd of white poop now so hopefully that means the meds are working. Crossing my fingers

I would say they are difficult. I set up a tank and put in 6 at once all the same size.

The temperature and water had all been set up to be good for discus. However, I got one that over competed for food and got big quickly which killed or stunted the others. I am now left with 3 after 8 months but one is currently on its way out.

This was my experience as well. Then the smaller ones get stunted because they don't grow at the same pace and can't compete for the food. I find they then form a natural pecking order and the smallest two become the runts.

Back
Top Bottom