are fish affected by sound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I have an air bubble thingy (the long stick). Yesterday it started making a chirping noise (it really sounds like a small bird!). Can this affect the fish, stress them?

I noticed that my 4 corys (the only fish in my tank) are swimming all over the place and even surfing at the surface! They are pretty new to my tank so I thought they were stressed by the move and new environment, but maybe it is cause by this noise?

Aside from buying a new bubble stick, is there a way to get rid of that sound?

Thanks
Vero

Try turning it off and see if their behavoir changes. And from what i understand fish respond to pressure waves in the water (sound) like most animals. They don't have ears per say, but i think they can detect sound waves

i agree with that, when i play my stereo loud for a certain song all my fish go to the end of the tank furthest from the speakers(even though the speakers are about 6 feet from the tank) and when i turn it off or down they go back to normal, vibrations also do that

Fish 'hear' sound far better than we do....so sound is an issue, although I doubt a chirpy air stone is much of an issue (you may wish to take it out and clean it).

well i thought that it sent a vibration to their lateral line thingy and it freaks em out because they think its a predator

i think its more, the effect it makes. but i dont think its actually literally like a horn in their ear.

Hi,

Thanks everyone.

Sound is a vibration (wave)in the air. The vibration can propagate in the water (actually better then in air) and fish can feel these vibration. I found in a book that they have ears (internal) so they do hear! I just wasn't sure how they would respond to sound. It sure does affect them. Though they are still pretty nervous because of the new environment, and swim around pretty fast when I approach the aquarium, they no longer surf at the surface now that I turned off the air bubble thingy. After a day turned off, I turned it back on and it is not making the noise anymore...

Thanks
Vero

Back
Top Bottom