are gourami's top dwellers ? also, do they make bubble nests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
i was wondering,
do gourami's need a gentle current because they make bubble nests?

Yes, gouramis make bubble nests. Also, depending on the type of gourami, some need floating plants to build the nest in/around.

in my opinion, gouramis do best in soft currents in general. They are a pretty shy fish and do best with not-so-hyper-crazy fish. My guy seems to like going everywhere in the tank. The one I had before (who was with crazy danios and tetras) never left the bottom back corner until finally I felt bad for him and took him back to the fish store (he wouldn't eat anything during the week I had him). HTH!

My blue gouramis cruise all over the tank. They do hang out alot at the top, though, under my lilly pads. My dwarf gourami likes to hang out at the bottom hidden in the plants. He ventures out often for food and takes a "stroll" around the tank now and then.

are gourami's "schooling fish" ??

do u need to keep MORE than 1 ??
can I just keep 1 ??

Are you talking about dwarf gouramis? Most stores only sell males because the females aren't as colorful. Unless you have a bigger tank your probably better off getting one male as two may not get along. If you can get a male/female pair that be great, but I've never seen the females for sale around here. They are definitely not top dwellers. Not many fish are true top dwellers, like hatchetfish.

talloulou said:
Unless you have a bigger tank your probably better off getting one male as two may not get along.

yeah i was just reading that -
because they are related to Bettas - males may fight

i have 2 dwarfs and the only way they come to the top is to breath and then right back down to the bottom it is... they like to hide in ornaments or behind plants.. one of them, blue is a curious one though.. whenever i stick my hand in to fix a fallen plant or whatever he always swims up to it and just stares at my hand, also if im cleaning the stand or standing by it he will come up to the glass and just watch..

My Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia) Males hang out at the top in the plants and under the lily pads when they are bubble nesting. If a male doesn't have a nest ready he is usually in the lower half of the tank skulking in the plants. The females on the other hand are all over the tank. They go to the top to mate and breath, they go to the bottom to scrounge up a snack. And then they swim all over...just because they can ;-)

if you are going to get a female for a male dwarf gourami, GET MORE THAN ONE. He will badger one female to death. I had one male with 2 females and he opened ulcers on both of the females from pecking at them and chasing them.

In my experience with my Gouramis is that they're mostly bottom dwellers. They go up towards the top to breathe of course, but most of the time they're seen either resting at the bottom in the corner or behind a plant or they're searching the bottom for left over pieces of food.

I have the filter set as low as it can get and they seem to be very happy with it. When I first got them the filter was set at high, but you could see that the current was pushing them around a little bit.

I have three girls being special ordered to go with my two boys. Hopefully, it all goes well!

- Mandy

They're anatabids. They have the labrynth organ, so they can breathe straight air. Mine stayed at the top of the tank most of the time unless they were picking at one of the decorations at the bottom, they will eat algae.

Back
Top Bottom