Are live plants messy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webmaestro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'd like to grow some live aquatic plants in my 10gl tank. The artificial ones just don't seem to look as good with my really realistic artificial coral. Do live plants make cleaning and water maintenance more difficult? Such as water changes and water clarity? Also, are certain plants more suitable for small tanks and certain species? I have high-fin tetras, guppies, and mollies. Thanks!

Live plants are not messy at all. As for what plants will grow in your tank, we need to know a few things:

Is it stock lighting?

Incandescent or fluorescent?

Do you have gravel or sand? (not that it makes much difference but some seem to do better in sand than gravel)

A few easy ones, considered low tech: anubias, java fern, java moss.

Here's a good site:

PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource

I've had some plants in my tank for a while and they're not messy unless
you don't trim off the dying leaves and such but I just make that part of my cleaning routine. They really do make a huge difference though.

imo, the only time theyre messy is if you get the ones from pet stores that arent aquatic, or if you dont have sufficient lighting... if you take care of them properly, theyre not messy at all

imo, the only time theyre messy is if you get the ones from pet stores that arent aquatic, or if you dont have sufficient lighting... if you take care of them properly, theyre not messy at all

This couldn't be more true. I went out on a limb to try one and it was gone in less than a month because I couldn't stand it.

I had a green out in a month-aged 29 gallon I started with a HOB cannister. It has a twin fluorescent hood and some sun exposure. You couldn't see the back of the tank from the front!

I added two bundles of anacharis, a bundle of hornwort and a couple of crypts on a monday! By that friday, it was crystal clear and none of the areas I had scraped with a magnetic scrubber showed any signs of surface algae. I know the crypts are such slow growers that they didn't make a dent in the suspended nutrients, but the anacharis doubled in apparent volume within two weeks and I started pulling it.

7 weeks later with little or no maintenance, it is still crystal clear with a couple of stowaway ramshorn and pond snails. I'm going to keep it going with DIY CO2 and add shrimp.

The tank is set up to supply biology classes in my building with anacharis samples and suspended eukaryotes for observation. I'm not going to put fish in it so it can over-summer (new word?) without maintenance with the shrimp snails and lowlight plants.

The crypts are actually planted in gravel covered soil inside of old teachers' lounge coffee cups.

"Messy" was only an issue when I floated the potting soil to eliminate suspendable particles before potting the crypts.

On another note, I've got a HUGE java fern system in a 30 gallon low light community that's never greened out and only has an occasional expansion/outbreak of beard algae. I periodically pull the older leaves (reaching in by hand) as they seem to be withering.

So in my experience, I think lowlight plants are anything but messy. Not sure about the more demanding planted tanks with higher light and nutrient replenishment. . . .

Last edited:
Someone had suggested acadia lilies...apparently once they mature they make lilypads and pink or white blossoms. Is this a good idea?

NO DO NOT LISTEN TO WHOEVER WILL TELL PLANTS ARE MESSY!!!!! I have severel plants in my tank and they only loose a leave when you put them in for the first time, cleaning is easy if you tank is big enough just get a siphon and miss the plants. if you do thiss you will be rewared with beautiful plants

Plants are only messy if you kill them. :) If you have enough light and nutrients for the plants you try to keep, they shouldn't be messy.

Someone had suggested acadia lilies...apparently once they mature they make lilypads and pink or white blossoms. Is this a good idea?
They might have been talking about a Lotus plant, like a Tiger Lotus...its a Nymphaea species like this one: Tiger Lotus (Nymphaea lotus 'Zenkeri'). I'm not familiar with an acadia lily. The plant in that link is a good plant. It might not thrive if you have just regular stock lighting though.

If you could post information about your lighting, we could recommend some plants that should grow nicely.

I would say that my tank is definitely messier since I changed over to live plants. Live plants grow and die, and I have algae issues b/c of the lights, so my tank is a bit messier since I transferred but that is mostly b/c I don't stay on top of it like I should.

java moss will be messy if you let it grow unchecked; it wants to reach out and grab everything, so I wouldn't recommend it for a smaller tank. Some tall fast growers like anacharis or cabomba may pull free of anchors and float around... live plants take management. But messy? Nah. I'd try the crypts first, they grow slow but are fairly persistent once you find a permanent spot for them. Java fern too (although it also sends out root feelers that may not look attractive... they can be trimmed back if needed).

I change my live plants into artificial plants in my fish tank. I put some silk plants on it, and I really want to add more. I really hope my fishes will like it. Artificial Trees

Back
Top Bottom