Are milk cartons safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BL1ND1ND3X

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone,
I have had a milk carton in my backyard for a while and was wondering it it was safe?
I want to use it as an accurate gallon measurement.
Should I clean it somehow?
And if I do how should I clean it?
Thank you for the help!!

I've used milk jugs for my water changes since I first got an aquarium. I fill them up and let the water sit for anywhere from a day to a week, and have never seen any adverse effects in the fish from using them, so I would say they are perfectly safe!

To clean them, I fill them with maybe 2" of warm water, shake, then fill again with 2" of water, add a bit of dish soap, shake, shake, shake, then fill with 3" of warm water only and shake, repeating the rinsing three times.

Honestly if I want a gallon size milk jugs I buy a gallon of distill water and use it in a tank. Then I have a clean jug that I know has had nothing but water in it. If the jug has been out in your yard you have no idea what might have been in it. I personally wouldn't risk using it.

Honestly if I want a gallon size milk jugs I buy a gallon of distill water and use it in a tank. Then I have a clean jug that I know has had nothing but water in it. If the jug has been out in your yard you have no idea what might have been in it. I personally wouldn't risk using it.

Ok thanks!
That's a good idea, I'll probably pick one up today.

Back
Top Bottom