Are Mollies are Sordtails Better than Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone. I was wondering if mollies or swortails are stronger than fancy guppies? Fancy guppies from my pet store will NOT live. I have feeder guppies in my tank though that have lived for a month atleast now. Also are mollies or sword tails compatiable with feeder guppies? Thanks!

PK, your question doesn't really have a straight answer, but I'll tell what I have come to know from working in a pet department. Fancy guppies are so popular and so mass produced in most places that they get sick easily. Aquatics wholesalers will often times load tanks down with horomones and medicines to keep the fish alive and stop sickenss from spreading. This doesn't mean that they will not live if you buy them , but often times the transition that they make from wholesaler to pet store and pet store to home, is enough stress to push them over the edge. It also depends on how the fish is "broken in" to it's new home when you buy it. I have only ever owned 3 guppies, one died soon after I bought it and the others lived quite a while.

As for your feeder guppy questions, fry are very healthy when born and have most times not been exposed to such conditions, so that is why I would guess that they have lived a while now? Also, they should be fine with mollies and swordtails as long as your feeders arent terribly small, just provide plenty of hidng spots.

I hope that all of my information is correct, if it isn't somebody please correct me! :D Good luck with everything!

They should all get along considering all the fish you listed are peaceful community fish. I agree with Devilishturtles about the fancy guppies. They do tend to get sick very easily, but I do know of many people that have successfully kept fancy guppies for many years. I would say not to get discouraged with fancy guppies, they are a very beautiful fish.

I love Mollies...I hope to get some dalmation Mollies. I just did a water test and notited my nitrate was a little high (40-50PPM) so that could have been the cause of their death. My feeders take abuse apparently pretty well. I guess I went a little too long without a water change (2 or 3 weeks). Lately I have been doing 20% water changes daily...to lower the nitrate and also encourage my two far along female guppies to have babies. I have a question for you all! This seems odd but about 2 hours after doing a water change from around 50 nitrate...the nitrate concerntration only dropped a small amount. Is this normal? There are no nitrates in my tap water.

P.S. after going through about 9 fancy guppies I apparently found two that are pretty healthy with a pretty pregnat female. I have had them for about a month now. Amazingly they made it through the end of a cycle process. I rushed the end of the cycle process by tanking some java moss from one of my teachers tank that he told me had been set up for years. That plant kinda took over my aquarium so I cut it back and put some if it in my 10gal...uncylced...seem to of jumped the cycle proccess ahead 1 week+ . Any advice about the water changes will be appreciated.

What percentage of a water change did you do? Nitrate levels should drop of pretty significantly with about a 40-50% water change. My guess is that if you did a pretty good water change (40-50%) then you may have just tested in a pocket of bacteria. Dont check it so soon after a water change especially if you have stirred up quite a lot of dirtiness. Test it again and see if it has come down any. That is my guess? Hope it helps! :)

I think most livebearers - swordtails, mollies, platies, guppies are compatible to live together. They say a 3 female to 1 male ratio is good (personally, I have 6 female platies to my one male - he's a horny one). Also, try to get fish that aren't too big a difference in size (great big molly could equal stress for a little fish).

Guppyman wrote a very informative post about fancy guppies from pet stores. It's in the Unhealthy fish forum - "No luck with guppies"

oops sorry, I just took a look at it again, and you've already seen it...

Back
Top Bottom