Are my 55 gal community stocking plans ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rileymc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here they are:

IMG_7188.jpg

Aqadvisor says I am 143% stocked, but this will be a planted tank with a strong powerhead for extra flow and airation. Aqadvisor also said that ember tetras are not compatible with the rams and angels, what should I substitute them with? Also, any suggestions for changes?

I also want to add some snails for algae control.

I have ember tetras they are very small and even adults might be Angel food.

I haven't kept firemouth but read they can be quite aggressive at times. Aside from that your list looks alright.

I'm not even sure what Ember tetras are, but if they're smaller than neons, they'll be snacks. Large angels will eat the neons also. I have Firemouths, and agree with Cool Guy; they aren't really community fish. Some are incredibly peaceful, some are pretty aggressive. Having only one may increase the aggression towards other fish. It may also snack on the occasional tetra, though they aren't normally piscavorous. IMO, relocate the firemouth, and keep a close eye on the angels. I've never had rams, so can't comment on them.

i would agree with the stocking calculator....that is a lot of fish. Idk if you have had this many fish or in a tank quite this size before but I think having a bunch of activity detracts from the peaceful nature of a fish tank a little bit
seems like your tank is pretty bottom dweller heavy. Rams of all types are known to be territorial. I would probably settle on perhaps one type. especially if you don't know what sexes you are getting from them because males are extra territorial.
as for guppies I wouldn't mix the sexes if were you because they could have population explosions and make your tank even more overstocked. (this bit of advice comes from experience haha). if you get only one sex, make sure you get males in odd numbers and get at least 3-5 (this is from my research on getting guppies)

I love my kuhli loaches. I would bump up the number to seven on them.
and for mollies i recommend getting 3 females for every male......i think it is better (from experience) than the recommended 2 females for every male.

I would nix the firemouth cichlid because cichlids can be aggressive.
angels are kind of risky too and might eat your small tetras but to mimimize the risk....make them the last fish you add so they wont establish territories and try to protect from invaders. and try to get them as young as you can so that way they will grow up with your other fish......this might make them not see your smaller fish as food.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom