Are my 55 gal community tank stocking plants ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rileymc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Will these all get along? Any edits or suggestions to my list are welcome and appreciated!!

IMG_7255.jpg

Thanks!!

I probably wouldn't do the guppies. Firemouths aren't piscivorus by nature, but like most fish, are opportunistic, and may see your guppies as snacks. I've never tried to keep rams with anything else, but I'b be a bit worried about water parameters, as rams typically prefer softer, somewhat more acidic water than many other cichlid species. Also, I would recommend only 1 species of ram if you decide to go with them, unless you get all male or all female, to prevent hybridization. The gouramis may get beaten up; firemouths aren't as aggressive as some cichlids, but they have their moments. Some pet stores recommend firemouths as community fish, but I disagree. The same with the Odessa barbs; they're very cool looking fish, but a bit small to hold their own with cichlids. IMO, and it's only an opinion, mind you; either go with a community tank, or a cichlid tank. The 2 don't always mix well.

I probably wouldn't do the guppies. Firemouths aren't piscivorus by nature, but like most fish, are opportunistic, and may see your guppies as snacks. I've never tried to keep rams with anything else, but I'b be a bit worried about water parameters, as rams typically prefer softer, somewhat more acidic water than many other cichlid species. Also, I would recommend only 1 species of ram if you decide to go with them, unless you get all male or all female, to prevent hybridization. The gouramis may get beaten up; firemouths aren't as aggressive as some cichlids, but they have their moments. Some pet stores recommend firemouths as community fish, but I disagree. The same with the Odessa barbs; they're very cool looking fish, but a bit small to hold their own with cichlids. IMO, and it's only an opinion, mind you; either go with a community tank, or a cichlid tank. The 2 don't always mix well.

Alright, thanks! I will ditch the idea of guppies and gourami with the cichlid rams. What else should I put with them? Also, I do not mind hybridization as I would like to breed them! It looks like the bolivian and german rams would get along. I do want to keep the firemouth though.

What else can I keep with them?

You could check out some of the Apistogramma species. I would try to avoid hybridization though. It's frowned upon by most aquarists and naturalists, unless you plan to never get rid of any fry you produce. Most hobbyists prefer to keep individual species pure.

Have you considered angel fish? I keep German blue rams with angelfish in community..... if your interested in gouramis, pearl gouramis do well with both angle fish and Bolivians in a community tank...

Firemouths are aggressive.I suggest getting several of a few species rather than few or one of one species. Virtually all fish do much better in groups of the same species

Firemouths are aggressive.I suggest getting several of a few species rather than few or one of one species. Virtually all fish do much better in groups of the same species

It would be a small firemouth. What do you suggest to replace it though? I really like the colors.

I ditched the Odessa Barbs, guppies, gouramis, butterfly cichlid. I added 6 tiger barbs to the plan instead.

I like the tiger barbs as they can be fin nippers but in groups they are peaceful. IMHO, fewer species and more fish in each makes a happier, healthier, and more attractive tank.
I used to breed firemouths and they are great fish - by themselves.

I wouldn't put rams in with those fish, but what do I know?
If rams are not the #1 fish in the tanks they will not last long.
IMO they should not be with fish that may even be tougher then them..
They are hard enough to keep properly.
And IMO NOTHING goes with tigers except more tigers! MAYBE if you get enough they won't kill each other too quickly...

I wouldn't put rams in with those fish, but what do I know?
If rams are not the #1 fish in the tanks they will not last long.
IMO they should not be with fish that may even be tougher then them..
They are hard enough to keep properly.
And IMO NOTHING goes with tigers except more tigers! MAYBE if you get enough they won't kill each other too quickly...

Alright, I will forget about the tigers and maybe the firemouth too so the rams are number one. Will Bolivian and German be ok with each other?

Back
Top Bottom