Are my angelfish going through an agressive period?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aisforangelfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello there, I will start by introducing you to my tank, A 55g tropical tank, undergravel filter with powerheads, 76-80 degrees, change water at least once or twice a week 1/4 or so each time. My water parameters have been quite good as I have experience keeping fish. Now for the important details. I have many flat rocks propped up in different places, two very large fake plants, several small fake plants, all kinds of different rocks, and two bubble features. I originally bought four angelfish from the same place at the same time from the same tank and everything. I, probably stupidly, wanted one of each, so I went home with a silver, a marble, and two striped ones. Everything was going perfectly for about three months but then once they aproached about the size of a 50 cent peace or so they have become very aggressive. So aggressive in fact that I already took the silver back to the store after he chewed off the marble's tail suddenly. The tail was growing back nicely but now one striped angel is bullying the other two. Am I going to end up with one angelfish? I'm terribly disappointed. Am I under the false impression that I could keep a few angelfish in a 55? I rearrange the tank every time I clean? Do I need to make like a huge pile-of-rocks type environment or something? I'm terrible with live plants so I have incorporated as many plastics as I can. Any advice?

I am by no means an expert, but I have read that angelfish definitely develop territories -- perhaps by moving and rearranging the tank every time you are redrawing territory lines so that they have to be re-established by your fish with each cleaning. Maybe you could try keeping your decorations static over your next few cleanings and see if they settle?

I hope it all works out, and maybe someone else will have better advice!

I don't believe I've really given that a chance, so maybe you're right. I'll definitely give it a shot as it couldn't hurt. Thanks for the fresh eye!
-Adam

Angels are in the cichlid family, and as elys said, territorial by nature. The advice was good regarding changing the landscape around.

As they grow, you are likely to have more problems with mixing the different types.

Usually you are better off buying groups of the same types and letting them pair off. They will still be aggressive, but it sometimes alleviates some of the reproductive frustration, especially if you have all males of different types.

angry fish

Okay have to say angel fish for about a month Have othe
  • 4 red eye
  • 1 zebra danio
  • 2 angel fish
  • 1 blood dwarf gourami
  • 5 tiger barbs
  • 3 albino tiger barbs
  • 4 red serpae tetra
    in a 55gal tank and one of the angels is gettin to be a little to aggressive why is that

Back
Top Bottom